Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile Lower unit cav plate rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    If you'll look in one of those pics you'll notice that I've got sandals on. I didn't want a hole in my socks Lol. I make a living as a Boilermaker but I've got to tell you I've found a really good way to make plenty of extra cash. It's doing repair work at just one of the many local marinas. I think I've got a new hobby
    See, you guys laughed at me when I said I wore sandals and shorts to weld in here in south Florida.

Nice work Showdog.
    Is that a outboard lower unit or a outdrive from an I/O?
    What did they hit? Judging from the damage to the prop, they wacked somethig pretty hard.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by captkipp View Post
    See, you guys laughed at me when I said I wore sandals and shorts to weld in here in south Florida.

Nice work Showdog.
    Is that a outboard lower unit or a outdrive from an I/O?
    What did they hit? Judging from the damage to the prop, they wacked somethig pretty hard.
    Not sure what they hit. It's a outdrive off a I/O. This is a job for a gentleman that buys and sell large cruisers. Luckly I've had real good dealings with the service manager at the marina and I've fixed several things he thought couldn't be repaired.So now he's giving me all kinds of work and even turning me on to others as well. The one thing that amazed him the most was a powersteering cooler[?] that was solid copper, I silver soldered that puppy right up and must say so myself it looked good.Every since then it's one phone call after the next.Thanks to FusionKing and all you guys for taking the time to steer me in the right direction on some of my repairs.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

It is actually quite simple what happened to it.
    There is very little clearance between the anti-cavitation plate and the prop. All the prop has to do is draw a loose object into it's path while rotating and if it gets between the 2, something has to give.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Got er done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Powcon 300st

Dang it!!!

I've been looking for those gloves!

Good job Did you make any money?
    I've been getting $250 to do that for a long time now. That is with or without paint because I do a lot for boat refinishers. Since times are harder and I am more desperate I think I am going to charge for the paint work nowadays.
    I sweat that part more than anything else anyways. I am a welder not a painter and I generally refuse to use bondo. I feel it is better to let the customer see what they are getting, metalwise.
    But some places want it to look like it never happened. I am probably more worried about the price than they are. I know I am too cheap compared to the other jobs I do but if I do 2 in a day it is pretty hard to make that kinda money working for the man.
    I have one to do this week if it ever stops raining. It is an old grungy TR drive on a houseboat. I've gotta whip it out using the 200 off of the Bobcat. I bid it $300 and it looks just like what you did on this thread.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Well I hate to admit but I did this way to cheap. $150 but will not do it again at that price. More work than meets the eye if you care about what your work looks like. I'm pretty happy with it but being the picky sort I know I could do better next time.What made it hard to look just right is the whole edge on the damaged side wasn't straight at all and I hate monkeying with what isn't broke. When the piece was warm from welding I took a rubber hammer and tryed my best to straigten it out some. Doing this type of repair will bring out the body man in you to say the least. Suggestions on keeping it all looking uniform ? Thanks and did I hear mention of using a belt sander?
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Powcon 300st