Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Cool HF Bender making the bent parts the same.

So you have a bender and need 100 pcs all the same size. No problem here are a few tricks. I needed 100 hangers for my ceilingtrains.com bridges and they have to be exact to suit me anyway. I start with all my bending on the top of the frame unless its a real thick part and the bending would be done inside the frame where its stronger. I just use longer 5/8" bolts i got cheap from the farm store to hold the round dies. The first step is adding a length gauge to the center die bolt. (pic 1) that way i don't need to measure the parts on each bend. Mine is 8" in this pic. (pic 2) is a length gauge cut from sq tube that id ground on the corner to fit the already bent part radius then butts against the die. You must remove the tube before bending or you will have a nice radius and your part will be too long. So just insert it and set some tension on the steel with the handle then remove the gauge. (pic 3) is the bucket of parts that are the required 7 1/16" at the outside. So next time you hear you can't get perfect parts from a 49 dollar HF bender just give me a yell...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Good thinking & nice bends.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

I've got to get myself one of those. Nice job on the rails Bob.

Default bender

Very useful info! I too, have a HF bender. I tell people it is so I can make identical mistakes... Your ideas make it even more useful! Thanks.
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Awsome bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

For the $ 100.00 that they cost I have found it to be a tool that cost the least and gives me the most.

My big problem is with the Harbor Freight tubing roller, They made the dies for tubing and not for pipe.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

My big problem is with the Harbor Freight tubing roller, They made the dies for tubing and not for pipe.
    I am trying to get set up to make pipe and tube dies. I bought an old big lathe and have the radius cutter done i just need to get it all working...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I've only done a few small projects with my Harbor Freights tubing roller, all with 3/4-inch black pipe bought at the local big box store. No problems at all to report / now that I have the main dies keyed.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Sanora, It seems I remember a post about the roller not being keyed and only having a set screw to hold them.
    If your drive roller wont drive your kinda screwed.

Ametalmaster, If you can covert them for pipe let me know and I'll buy one from ya.

If your drive roller wont drive your kinda screwed.
    Kinda screwed?
    What were they thinking?
    Works great now!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.