Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Passport Plus: Shielding gases and CO2 bottle

I have a few questions about the Passport Plus. I have owned mine for close to 2 years and recently started using it more an more, previously I just used it to tack stuff up then took them to the bench to TIG weld.

Whats the best gas to use with the Passport Plus in steel (CO2, C25 or other mix), stainless steel (Tri-mix or other) and aluminum (argon or other)? Can I use CO2 or C25 to make tacks on stainless steel?

Secondly comes the internal CO2 bottle, recently I have been taking this on the go and love having the portability. Can I purchase the adapters to fill the CO2 bottle myself, if so anyone have links for the connections? Secondly can they be filled with mixed gases or argon? If not are there any mini-bottles out there that can be filled with a mixed gas or argon?

I think thats it for now thanks!
    Last edited by eyecandy; 04-18-2010 at 12:24 PM.

In my experience with my Passport, the best gas for solid wire on steel is CO2. I have used mine with 85/15 Ar/CO2 and straight CO2 is better than mix gas.

Yes, the little bottle can be filled from a larger liquid-draw CO2 tank. I do not know what connectors are needed to make that happen.

The little bottle is made to be filled with liquid CO2. I don't know if another liquid gas could be filled into the bottle. It is not made to be used with compressed gas, only liquid. I guess maybe liquid argon could be a possibility? I imagine the regulator would need to be changed to use it with argon, if that is possible.

I don't know of any other type gas bottles available for the Passport besides the liquid CO2 paintball ones.

If you do alot of portable jobs with the Passport as I do, just run it with fluxcore self-shield wire. The Passport runs fluxcore excellent and fluxcore is alot easier to weld with outdoors than fooling around with wind blowing the gas away during the weld. It also welds better on galvanized metal and on dirty/rusty/painted metal that doesn't get cleaned very well. These are things you find in the field often. I use Hobart/McKay Speedsheild GS .035 fluxcore in my Passport and the machine loves it and makes very nice welds with little spatter. Lincoln NR211MP is also a good fluxcore wire to use.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Filling your own bottles is risky and requires a scale,proper training and liquid Co 2.
    I know of no other gas bottles that fits these units other than the Co 2.

I cannot get mine to shield worth a **** when welding with the internal tank, so much as a fart will cause the gas coverage to be non existant. I see no way to adjust the regulator or is there?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Filling your own bottles is risky and requires a scale,proper training and liquid Co 2.
    I know of no other gas bottles that fits these units other than the Co 2.

I cannot get mine to shield worth a **** when welding with the internal tank, so much as a fart will cause the gas coverage to be non existant. I see no way to adjust the regulator or is there?
    Peel back the label/sticker on the Internal Reg to reveal the adjusting screw

I don't see how it can be that big of deal to fill the small bottles- the dude at the paintball shop certainly didn't look like he attended any training Class
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 04-20-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

For mild steel 100% CO2 and 75/25 both work very well. For stainless steel you would need to use the helium based tri-mix (90/7.5/2.5), I would not suggest using CO2 or 75/25 even just to tack as it will then rust. And for aluminum you would want to go with straight argon.

The internal tank is for CO2 only. They do have fill kits available on-line and the prices vary greatly. Check the paintball gun equipment suppliers to look at your options. If you do puchase a fill kit please be sure get the correct training before attempting to fill the bottles.
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Peel back the label/sticker on the Internal Reg to reveal the adjusting screw

I don't see how it can be that big of deal to fill the small bottles- the dude at the paintball shop certainly didn't look he attended any training Class
    Why the he!! they got to hide the darn thing.

Also I got a bottle that has a leaking Pressure relief valve, can they be had?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

fab,

They hide the screw because they are pre-set and usually do not have to be adjusted. As for the pressure relief valve most sporting goods stores that carry paintball guns can take care of it.
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

excellent.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Refilling the paintball bottles is not a big deal. Check out http://www.sodaclubrefill.com/ for information, and if inclined, the refill station. They make quality stuff.

You can also search Ebay & Amazon "paintball filling station". There are cheap brass ball valve style, a nicer black 'block' style (usually with shorter plastic hose), and an expensive single lever refill station. The site above uses the black block style and already comes w/ stainless hose; it is what I have. They can supply a custom length hose on request (very useful), and have quick release fittings. You will also need an accurate scale.

Don't waste money on 'siphon' CO2 tank. Use a regular one, turned upside down when you need to fill. It's more versatile and economical - you can weld and refill off of one bottle.

I just got my Passport Plus & watched the set-up video & on the video it has a gauge on the small 12 internal bottle but my Passport doesnt have this. Also what all stays attached to the bottle when you take it to get filled. Pretty much where should I disconnect the bottle from the regulator at? I'm pretty anxious to try this thing out.
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Spoolmate 100
    Milwaukee 4 1/2" Angle Grinder
    Milwaukee Sawzall
    Miller Elite Inferno Hood
    Miller Diversion 180
    Miller Digital Elite Vintage Hood
    Miller Camo Digital Elite Hood