Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 350P Feed Slowed Abnormally

First of all, I didn't know it was possible to fall in love with a welder, then I got this 350P.
    Anyway, I was putting some beads on a hinge of a dump truck, about 1/8" thick, and everything was going along fine, then suddenly the feed slowed to a crawl. At first I thought that the feed wheels were slipping, but tightening them had no affect at all. I watched the feed and it really was crawling. I didn't touch the voltage but had to crank up the feed speed to 500+ to get it to speed up enough to keep welding a decent bead. After a few minutes the feed picked up again suddenly and I had to crank the feed back down to where I had it originally.
    Almost everything on this job was about 1/8", and I was welding close to continuously for about 30 minutes. Two beads up and down each of the 4' doors, then strengthening the hinges. It hasn't done it since, but I haven't welded anything as long since either.
    I am running .035 wire, on 240v single-phase, with 75/25 gas.

Anyone know what happened? Should I be taking it in before the warranty runs out?

Thanks,
    Chris

Maybe you reached a spot in the wire spool where the wire was wound a crossed up and it had trouble pulling the wire off?
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

I've had a similar problem with my 252 lagging while welding. I have the same setup as far as wire and gas, but I haven't had a chance to look at the drive rolls or blow out the gun liner. Tips are clean. My welder is on a single circuit about 10 ft from the panel on 50A 240V.

I'm guessing it's probably the same problem whatever it is.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made

MM35 erratic wire feed thread Seems like this guy was having a similar problem. Mine didn't first begin happening until I was nearly through a 10# roll of wire. The same on the second roll of wire. My unit is only a year old so the drive rolls should be spotless. I've straightened out the leads and it helps. When I get home, I'll clean the rolls and blow out the liner. How often do you professionals put in a new gun liner?
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made