Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I would hav installed a newel at the break as well. In addition to Wyros (how ya doing Wyoming??) comments you might try adding a weld on tab to the newel post at the nose of the stair tread and epoxy in a bolt there too.

For starters you forgot the post at the top of the stairs set 4" back from the nose.

#2 As Adams welding said core drilling is the best way.
    I've installed thousands of feet of railing on hundreds of buildings and core drilling stands the test of time.

I find core drilling 4" below grade is very suffiecient.

Couple of things:

I did think of gussets, it was on my list of possible fixes and mentioned in an earlier posts. Nice to see it validated independently

A few have commented on the flimsiness of the angled supports (1/2" bar). They are actually quite stiff; all of the flex is in the weld tabs bolted to the wall. Shorter ones would probably have flexed less.

I covered the core drilling option in an earlier post. I agree it would have been nice to do but I was trying to stay as close as possible to the edge. Everyone comments on the railing not meeting code but nobody mentioned my too-narrow stairs. A post at the break would indeed have helped.

I'm going to try Roy's suggestion since it involves the least fabrication and looks to have the right balance of physics and aesthetics.

I knew you guys would have the answer(s)!

Matt.
    "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Millermatic 135
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Band
    Fully charged fire extinguisher

Thumbs up Fixed!

You guys gave me a lot of great suggestions but in the end I went in another direction. It did, however, involve installing a triangle. I also reinforced the weld tabs with a piece of bar channel. This was an easy fix with some scrap material. Some may argue it's not the prettiest but at least the Mrs. is happy! The railing is very stable now.

btw, I wish I would have had these railings dipped, the rain is showing me all of the spots I missed.

Matt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Millermatic 135
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Band
    Fully charged fire extinguisher