Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you hate staight lines......

VERY SPECIAL REQUEST FROM A LADY , ONE OF A KIND CUSTOM RAILINGS , THE ONLY STAIGHT LINES IS THE ANCHOR PLATES . TOTAL OF 42 LINEAR FEET .
    H/R 1 1/2 FLAT BAR X 3/8 FRAMING , INSIDE IS 3/16 .THE TOP IS HALF CIRCLE 5/16 FORGE HEATED TO FORM AND WELDED ALL THE WAY .
    A LOT OF GRINDING AND BLENDING .

Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FABRICATION-CRÉATION K ZEN

MILLERMATIC 210
    SPOOLMATE 3035
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    HYPERTHERM 360

Looks nice. Wouldn't pass many codes around here though.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Wow. This is got to be heavy. Nice

looks great.

Beautiful work. There is the concern about codes and for good reason. Codes don't come to be out of thin air. Accidents happen and codes follow to remedy them.

Most of the places I know won't allow a railing if there's more than four inches of space anywhere in the pattern. That's to protect small children from suffering a choking injury or fatality. It makes sense and it gives the artist-blacksmith-weldor a little more of challenge.

Your work is great and shows craftsmanship. I would recommend researching and incorporating the spirit of the codes even if they're not required though. I carry a two million dollar cumulative general liablity insurance. That wouldn't be a drop in the bucket dollarwise against a fatality. It would also break my heart.

Default Nice railings

They would be right at home in Spain. The wife and I visited Barcelona a few years ago and saw a building designed by Antonio Gaudi that had no straight lines on the facade and much of the interior. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Batll%C3%B3

Did you buy your parts at King Metals too?
    "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Millermatic 135
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Band
    Fully charged fire extinguisher

AWESOME!!!! All that needs to be said. Other than the insult about King Metals!

Awesome design. I have done some similar and was challenged to meet the 4" sphere rule. I think your design is deceptively open though, as in the installed pictures you can't see all teh minor scrolls, so it may well meet the code.
    Also, you said the top rail was half round? Tubing or solid bar? and where are you getting it?

Thanks,

I have no artistic talent whatever, but am curious about the joints where two piece of strap appear to cross "through" each other. Do you form each curving strap full-length, and then half-notch the two straps and fit them together to weld? Or are those all separate, cut pieces?

Great railing Zen. Our codes out here on the coast suck when it comes to doing anything other than pickets. We just got around the inspection by drilling small holes and bolting on some thin plexi sheet to be code "compliant". If the owner happens to remove the plexi panels after we leave and after inspection, that's not our problem.
    Great line flow!!!