Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heron "Picture"

Default Heron "Picture"

I built this for a friend as a retirement gift. Mild steel frame. "Moon/Sun" (your call) has brazed brass as does the grass in front of heron for some contrast. The hills/mountains are layered and the heron and cattails sort of sit outside the frame. All the parts were flap disked down to bare metal and "flame" painted.

Heron Mtn 2 GD SM.jpg

I love it. Fantastic.

Nice job. How do you get the colors?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by modela View Post
    Nice job. How do you get the colors?

Jim
    Sanded down to bare metal, then heated it with a propane plumber's torch. Try it sometime, it's sort of fun. The colors you get go from bronze to purple to deep blue and then sort of a silver blue then stop. You can't go back unless you sand back down to bare metal again. Also, the color develops past when you remove the heat, so as soon as you see some gold like color, back off -- see what you have and then if needed, add some more heat.

Thanks, I will try it.

Jim

Thumbs up

That's beautiful, great job!

BEAUTIFUL job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Artists, like you, make me feel so inadequate. Beautiful workmanship!

Thank you all for the nice compliments. Best of all, the person I made it for also loves it. You always worry when you make a gift.

Thanks again.

bob

Bob, did you silver solder all those different metals together??
    thanks
    bert
    p.s. Yeah, sometimes when you make a gift, the best thing is you hope for is that they love it as much as you would hope they do...............
    scary, since art is so subjective!!!
    again, beautiful work!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time