Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default VIDEO-- Pipe Welding in the Highline

This video is from our Capmus in Decatur, Al. The school is Calhoun Community College.

5g SMAW

If you see anything related to technique etc. please don't hesitate to add some input.

It's of a few classmates and myself,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRiq4-P2Lqw

Please leave comments if you have a youtube account
    Last edited by jsm11; 04-15-2010 at 08:18 PM.

WOW! That is the nicest set up I’ve ever seen for a school. Real world training. The first few jobs you go on you’ll really appreciate it!

I’ve had kids right out of school tell me they can only weld with certain colored machines, because that’s all they’ve used!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

I know . It's sweet

its nit-picky sh!te but they will nail you on it in the field. 1)Face Shield when grinding. 2) In the field like that you will prob. need a harness and fall protection, or atleast rails on your staging. Osha mandates FP at 6' above ground with out safety rails.

another question why the wedding bands? is it more of a trainer? just curious.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc537 View Post
    its nit-picky sh!te but they will nail you on it in the field. 1)Face Shield when grinding. 2) In the field like that you will prob. need a harness and fall protection, or atleast rails on your staging. Osha mandates FP at 6' above ground with out safety rails.

another question why the wedding bands? is it more of a trainer? just curious.
    Unsure on the definition of "wedding bands".

I wear my glasses , I'm in the middle clip.
    I fully agree that I need to pick up a face shield.
    I'm **** about protection for myself. Others I have no control of.

I fully agree on the harnesses and we have them just didn't use them which is retarded. The back section is waiting for stairs where you see the ladder in the pics/vid and is a nice overlook point.

Just a training setup.
    It's designed to be drop in and out for 10" pipe.
    We also have 6" that can be dropped into other areas.
    It's also designed to pressure test at some point in the future.
    Last edited by jsm11; 04-16-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    WOW! That is the nicest set up I’ve ever seen for a school. Real world training. The first few jobs you go on you’ll really appreciate it!

I’ve had kids right out of school tell me they can only weld with certain colored machines, because that’s all they’ve used!
    I know exactly what ya mean, at our community college I was in perfect welding conditions. 6G pipe was mounted on a jig where I could move it however I needed, and it hurt me a little bit at my new job. They put me thru welding training for pipe, and I started sweatin a little bit when they showed me my booth. Has a cover over the booth, so you cant even stand upright in it. The pipe is mounted in a rig against the wall, in the corner. 12" from the roof, 12" off the back wall, and 6" off the wall its mounted to. On top of the fact I hadn't Tig'd pipe in a few years, and even longer for SMAW pipe. I picked it up pretty quick, but it was a bit of a pain at first. When I get out in the yard I'll be welding in ships/subs, so real world training will def. be beneficial. They said there is a lot of mirror welding involved, too.
    As for good ole' OSHA, our work requires triple eye protection whenever grinding. We're always to wear a harness over 6ft like mentioned before (along with a life jacket sometimes), and a respirator anytime welding S.S.
    Last edited by hockeyguynick; 04-16-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguynick View Post
    I know exactly what ya mean, at our community college I was in perfect welding conditions. 6G pipe was mounted on a jig where I could move it however I needed, and it hurt me a little bit at my new job. They put me thru welding training for pipe, and I started sweatin a little bit when they showed me my booth. Has a cover over the booth, so you cant even stand upright in it. The pipe is mounted in a rig against the wall, in the corner. 12" from the roof, 12" off the back wall, and 6" off the wall its mounted to. On top of the fact I hadn't Tig'd pipe in a few years, and even longer for SMAW pipe. I picked it up pretty quick, but it was a bit of a pain at first. When I get out in the yard I'll be welding in ships/subs, so real world training will def. be beneficial. They said there is a lot of mirror welding involved, too.
    As for good ole' OSHA, our work requires triple eye protection whenever grinding. We're always to wear a harness over 6ft like mentioned before (along with a life jacket sometimes), and a respirator anytime welding S.S.
    The mirror will be your best friend, take it from someone that welded where you are employed for 30 years. The real world will start as soon as you go the the boat and weld in unbelievable positions, especially on subs but after a lot of practice you will rather use the mirror than bend your body to see the welds.

Good luck,
    Wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by jsm11 View Post
    Unsure on the definition of "wedding bands".
    Wedding bands are basically small filler pieces. having 3 joints where you could have 2 in that small of an area is considered to be a "wedding band". in the video it looks like there are 3 joints ina 1 foot run of pipe, so i was wondering if the extra joint was for training puposes.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
    The mirror will be your best friend, take it from someone that welded where you are employed for 30 years. The real world will start as soon as you go the the boat and weld in unbelievable positions, especially on subs but after a lot of practice you will rather use the mirror than bend your body to see the welds.

Good luck,
    Wheelchair
    Thanks! Lookin forward to gettin out in the yard soon. My supervisor in school had been in MOF doin pipe before they sent him to teach welding school, and has been tellin us about how contorted ya gotta get to weld some of these pipes. It should be interesting, I'm always lookin for a good challenge.