Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Passing it on

Default Passing it on

Last night was my first time to attempt to pass on some of the tips and tricks I've learned to high school students. The teacher scheduled the class in the evening for students that was interested. That eliminated the students that were taking welding and had no interest in welding.

I took along some hammered tubing from King that I had from a job a long time ago, two twenty foot lengths of three quarter inch square and one length of one inch. We made up two square tubing benders. I had them help me bend up a gate frame, anyone can weld up a square cornered gate, right?

The next class is Thursday it's going to be about coping or notching pipe. So I left the hammered tubing along with the benders. The students have today and tomorrow to finish the walk gate. I told them that I didn't want to see any straight lines, just curves. After all, anyone can do straight lines in a gate, right?

I'll take pictures Thursday evening and post them Friday.

If your local high school has a welding class you might want to check on passing it on if you have something you'd like to share with the students. I'm getting paid for it. It isn't as much as my usual rate but then the work is a lot more fun and, well, welding things up is my passion. Sharing that with the next generation is very rewarding for me.

Talking

I don't know what's more cool - Harv teaching or the fact that there is still a welding class in high school. I hope your students are better behaved than you were.
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by garybdavis View Post
    I don't know what's more cool - Harv teaching or the fact that there is still a welding class in high school. I hope your students are better behaved than you were.
    Gary, anyone here would love to have access to the equipment these kids have at our Wylie High School in my home town, Wylie, Texas. They have a plasma CNC, migs, tigs, stick welding machines, oxy acetylene, a Scotchman punch press, etc and so on. They build smokers plus other projects and all it costs them is for the materials. It's a great program.

Attached is a couple of pictures of the gate. They're supposed to finish it and then I'll go back and get some more photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I gave them my trusty old square tubing bender. All we had to do was install it on a welding table and they're bending square tubing without collapseing it.

check it out.

Here's the finished piece a little closer. This particular bender has worked on sixteen, fourteen, and eleven gauge tubing from 1/2 to 1 1/4 inch in size.

Pretty cool to know they have a good welding program.

I used to buy all my steel from Wylie Steel when I lived in that neck of the woods. Good folks there. Wylie sure has grown in the past 15 years.
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

what diameter is your bender? Have you tried smaller diameters? Is there any special steps to keep the tube from kinking? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    what diameter is your bender? Have you tried smaller diameters? Is there any special steps to keep the tube from kinking? Thanks
    The bender can be any piece of round material that's the diameter you want. Of course there are limitations but I use two inch pipe all the time for a die to bend half inch tubing.

If you wanted to have three inch inside diameter circles for a railing for instance then you could weld a piece of two and a half inch (2 7/8" o.d.) to a welding table or piece of plate you could put in a vice. You bend your tubing like making a coil spring around the pipe. Then you cut through the coil making rings. That's the way they make them btw, the ones you buy at the iron supply but you have to use their size. That and they have a horizontal capstan-shaft that works like a winch winding the tubing like you would a winch line. When the twenty foot stick is wound up then they cut it like I said and tack it true.

There is only one real secret to bending square tubing successfully. You can't let it slip. If you don't let it slip and you pull it around a die, piece of pipe, whatever, it won't kink. You might get inside and outside wall collapse or blowing out of the side walls, but you won't get collapse.