Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Some Projects made with Miller Welders

Im new to the forum so Im not sure if there is already a thread for this a quick search did not show anything.

In my spare time I maintain locomotives for a non profit and fabricating custom tools is a large part of keeping our equipment in service. Miller welding machines keep us going.

One such project is a customized crane used to lift the heavy cylinders of the locomotive on and off the locomotive itself.

Even a large scale valve spring compressor

Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller The Legend AEAD-200LE
    Miller Spectrum 375 EX-TREME
    Miller Diversion 165
    Miller Maxstar 150S
    Millermatic 211
    Systematics 325 (It's Blue so it counts)

Cool

Nice work there on the real trains...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

nice joint welds...
    Jim

Thanks, with our most recent project I found myself faced with a major lack of tools. Since all these tools are very specialized they are very costly to purchase. So I came up with my own variation on them to get the job done. This included custom Jacking tools and anchor tools.

This is a tool used to Jack the Cylinder Heads free of the liners

While the head is being jacked free the Liner needs to be properly Anchored to make sure it does not lift out of its seat so a Anchor tool had to be Fabricated to make sure the Cylinder Liner did not come out with the Cylinder Head.

Last edited by Tooling17039; 04-12-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller Diversion 165
    Miller Maxstar 150S
    Millermatic 211

I'll stick with the MACs...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

A large majority of the tools I have made will work for the 645 or 710 blocks found in later model EMD power. Even though they were built for the 567 series.

One of the newer ones a Cylinder Head rotating tool. This was made cause the Heads weigh over 100lbs and can be a bit cumbersome to manhandle.

Last edited by Tooling17039; 04-12-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller Diversion 165
    Miller Maxstar 150S
    Millermatic 211

Tooling17039, any of those locomotives have "ROY WAS HERE" painted on them anywhere???
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

@Tooling17039 - Really nice work, and on a scale that's way beyond my skills. I couldn't help noticing that in the photos of the "Cylinder Head rotating tool" that the hole for the hook is drilled above the center line of the beam and it looks like the beam's top half, above the hole, is flexing or bent under the weight. The whole assembly is massive, but might be undone by this one spot. Like I said, this is not my area of expertise. Think of me as the little kid pointing and saying "Is that right?".

[QUOTE=Tooling17039;232459]A large majority of the tools I have made will work for the 645 or 710 blocks found in later model EMD power. Even though they were built for the 567 series.

One of the newer ones a Cylinder Head rotating tool. This was made cause the Heads weigh over 100lbs and can be a bit cumbersome to manhandle.