Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about old propane torch bottles

I had this idea about using old propane torch bottles to cover up of pop up garden sprinklers. If the bottom were removed, the top placed downward it would form a housing for the sprinklers and a base of the flower, a little artistic stuff might be nice for a change. Anyway, my wife liked the idea but was afraid I would start something on fire or cause an explosion.

What is the best way to drain an old bottle ready for welding?

Jim

I know someone here has experience cutting in to them but, personally I don't cut a gas bottle unless I have no choice, I would tend to look for some other option than cutting a bunch of gas cylinders to make some yard art.

If you talking about the small bottles plumbers use on copper pipe or a propane lantern you should see a schrader valve on top like the valve stem on a car tire. Push the little button to make sure its empty then get a valve stem tool or some needlenose pliers and unscrew the valve. Then you can fill it with water if you want.

I do alot of stupid things so dont do anything just because I do it.

Micheaeljp86 is correct about the valve but there is a nylon ring seal that has to be removed at the top before you can extract the schrader valve. This is tough to remove because the ring is actually recessed under the top lip of the bottle and is a "hard" plastic which you will have to destroy to remove.

Once that is out of the way, the valve can be remove and discarded. Don't reuse the schrader for anything!

Fill the bottle with water and then cut it on a band saw at whatever point you want.

Note: There are some older bottles which had a two-part body that threaded together in the middle. You would probably never get the two parts unthreaded since they were usually sealed with a compound.

Default Propane

Everybody with a brain knows propane is dangerous. That's a given. We recently scrapped about 50 propane tanks. Some were 100# DOT type tanks and one tank was a 4000 gallon tank made of 1/2 inch plate weighing in at 17,000 pounds. Not one of the tanks even 'poofed' when we cut through them with a oxy-acetalene torch.

Use your head. Purge the tank(s), be certain they are evacuated and go for it. Make sure all plugs and valves are removed before you start. It's not rocket science.
    Last edited by jerems; 04-10-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

We have a big American tank & welding plant in my hometown back in Ohio, and they recon big tanks all the time. You see em with pipes sticking out of em, burning off remaining propane, then I beleive they purge em with a lil argon, and go right to work on em...They did, however, blow one up a few years back

Everybody with a brain knows propane is dangerous. That's a given. We recently scrapped about 50 propane tanks. Some were 100# DOT type tanks and one tank was a 4000 gallon tank made of 1/2 inch plate weighing in at 17,000 pounds. Not one of the tanks even 'poofed' when we cut through them with a oxy-acetalene torch.

Use your head. Purge the tank(s), be certain they are evacuated and go for it. Make sure all plugs and valves are removed before you start. It's not rocket science.
    We give a lot of advice on these forums, there are some jobs I do that I just plain am not giving internet advice on doing, something done at a place of employment where there is the equipment and experience is one thing but I am not telling anyone how to cut in a live fuel vessel.

considering labor cost and cutting materials, I would use PVC pipe ends for what you are going to do... no hazzard, no rust... just a thought..
    Jim

Use the little tanks for target practice first.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Use the little tanks for target practice first.
    Thats only fun if they are full and you use tracer rounds.

I seen a youtube video of a old camper trailer and they took acetylene and filled garbage bags like ballons then stuffed the camper with the bags. Then they got ontop of the hill and shot a tracer into it. I guess thats a good way to do it if you just want the trailer frame for a project.