Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Newbie with an older Roughneck 2E

Hello there. I just bought a Craiglist Roughneck 2E. Battery dead, not tested whatsoever. Knowing the Tecumseh will run after soaking the gunked up carburetor in Amonia (an old trick), I took a hunch and bought it. A few other guys were online to buy it also, and I'm lucky the seller went with me. First come first serve, I think.

AFTER starting up the motor, I have a few questions to resolve.

1.) What's the best way to find 50 foot leads cheaply? Make up the wires or buy them? I've seen 50 footers online at airgas for $240. Is this a good price? It seems high. That's $2.40 a foot.

2.) Can a wire feed unit be run from this unit? I'm a newbie, so the real question does MIG operate on 25 volts 50/60hz DC? And then if so, what is a good suggestion on a Miller model number for a wire feed unit?

Many Thanks for your time and expertise.

Default link to user manual

This is the Miller Roughneck 2E manual.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o420l_mil.pdf

I bet you ended up with a better deal than me on that welder.

As for leads - i`d watch craigslist, ebay, and check places that sell used welding equipment. I think Tractor Supply is charging like $2.69 a foot just for the cable. The price you were quoted is also on track with premierpowerwelder.com's prices.

And this is how I got one set of 20 ft leads for my premier power welder:

I bought an old Miller Thunderbolt for $50 - came with the leads with the correct lugs for my onboard welder, then I sold the Thunderbolt on craigslist for $75 after using it for a couple months for little things.

Goodluck.

I would make my own leads and at only 50' 4ga cable would be adequate and 2ga even more so. If needed, cable connectors to fit the Roughneck run less than $10 each and an electrode holder and work clamp would run aound $30 total.

Are you sure that's the correct manual for the unit based on its SN? Not sure why the manual lists its output as DC as Roughneck 2Es are AC weld output only and not easily set up for use with a wire feeder. Being a constant current (CC) output, even a DC unit would require a votlage sensing wire feeder for best operation.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 04-08-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

I think you will find the roughneck is a stick welder only.
    But the AC generator part might be able to power a 115 volt welder.
    Get the owners manual for your serial number and check the output specs.
    Have fun.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

I agree with ccawgc in that a 115vac wire feed welder off the auxiliary AC power would be the easiest/best way to go for a MIG and/or Flux Core operation.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL

Default I agree, but...

Indeed 29 amps at 220V is nice, and that would power a MIG welder... The question still stands. Is MIG a 25V DC process? Where does the SGA100C come into play? It seems to be on the diagram for spool guns and powered units.

These are complete newbie questions, and show some frustration. Eventually I'll speak the lingity of DC/AC CC/CV, as they apply to each kind of welding process.

-David

David,

Yes, MIG is a DC/CV process (shielding gas, reverse polarity) as is Flux Core (no gas, straight polarity). And again, the Roughneck is an AC only CC weld output.

As stated before, there are wire feeders that are arc 'voltage sensing' that provide proper wire feed speed control for use with CC (stick welder) machines but there's still the AC-vs.-DC output issue.

With the accessory equipment required to MIG with the Roughneck, as ccawgc pointed out, you'd be way ahead to use its AC auxiliary power to run a portable 115vac or 230vac MIG machine.

To help you learn more, go up to the 'Resources' pull-down menu and click on 'Improving Your Skills' for some very good information.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL

Default I have reserves this weekend.

Come Monday, I'll post the model number of the Miller wire feed unit that I have. It belongs to a retired farmer. It's mine for the taking. I have to take a look at it. It must be as old as the Roughneck.

I'm gathering that MIG could be done the AC output. This is pretty clear. It's obvious as **** even to a novice welder. My mom could tell me what she could run off the 220/110. What I'm trying to get a positive answer on is if a mig wire feed unit can be connected to the 25V DC. I have a wire feed unit already, and need to know if it might work. Details to be posted on monday, on the model number of the unit. It is also a Miller.

If it can be done, that's what I'm asking. Not to do it somehow else through the AC output. That's avoiding the question.

I'm in a boat yard with no 220 and only 110 that's not reliable. So, this Roughneck 2E is the power source. The boat is undergoaing a refit, closing sea cocks, adding hydraulic steering, and a thousand odds and ends. Knowledge is hard fought eh?

Many, many thanks.

David

OK, let's try this again.

As I stated in post #4, the manual you posted the link for lists the Roughneck incorrectly as a 200A @ 25VDC weld output. It's not. It's an AC weld output only and coupled with the fact it is a constant current (CC) machine it won't run a wire feeder that requires a DC weld output from a constant voltage (CV) machine with an adjustable voltage range of ~10-40VDC.

I fail to see where any of us have been "avoiding the question" but rather attempting to explain the differences between the Roughneck and what you're hoping to accomplish vs. the options you have. Obviously we've failed. So to keep the answer to your question direct and to the point - no, it won't work.

If you want to know why, go back and reread the responses in your thread. . .

. . .or ask your mom.

Let us know what the wire feeder is on Monday and good luck on the boat refit.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL