Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Peoples Republic of Southern California

Default My Job

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
    Looks like a nice project you can make a few $$$$ off of. I can't believe how some people treat equipment. Thanks for the pics.
    My job is to break it so that we have an excuse for having a welder on the payroll...

I'd fire my operator for being hard on my loader digging out those trees the other day ...but i am him

And i need to can my welder for taking too long to weld the hooks on the bucket ....but i am him

The only one that got anything done was the mechanic he only took 10 min to install the new seat.... dam that's me too
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
    OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
    Jackson EQC master (old)
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Spectrum 625 Extreme
    Suitcase 12RC
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Victor O/A
    Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
    Half a ton of tooling
    Rusty old truck

You should probably quit your job because your boss doesn't pay you enough ...but wait you're him

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    You should probably quit your job because your boss doesn't pay you enough ...but wait you're him
    Im in the same boat.

Sometimes I wish I'd be him though

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Daniel, If I were you I would put some plates om the inside of the boom extending at least 8" eather side of the crack, I would then take torch cut a groove length wise or parallel to the boom and plug weld the plate.

Note, Theres more pressure being applied to the top and bottom of the boom so thats where you want your fish plates.

I would use ( 4 ) 1" x 4" flat bar extending 8" - 12" past the crack with a 3/4" groove cut length wise so you can plug weld it.

2 plates welded to the top corners and 2 plates welded to the bottom corners.

I would then install the backers as you've done between the flat bars that run the length of the boom.

I know its more common to see the heavy fish plates on the sides of the boom, butt you actualy get more strength when putting fish plates on the top and bottom flange of the boom.
    Other than where you splice the new section of boom in, Try to minimize welding across the boom.

Good luck.
    Are you saying that fish plates on top and bottom only are stronger than on the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    This is the boom from a loader that the cylinder got changed for a more powerfull one so it can handle a bigger grab arms system. The guy pick up a big load of trees and dragged them and snap.
    Any chance the cylinder will be changed back to the original?
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by 4sfed View Post
    Any chance the cylinder will be changed back to the original?
    Thats what I was thinking, it need the original cylinder or the arm is going to need to be beefed up.

Default fish paltes top and bottom...

wow! that looks like a fun project.

i'm absolutely no expert but it seems to me too like the fish plates on top and bottom would make a stronger repair...looks like they would keep the seams from "stretching" apart when the cylinder applies the force.

i look forward to seeing more pictures!

sometimes i wish i could quit my "real job" and do that kind of stuff, but i kind of like the climate controlled environment of the hospital!
    1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
    TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
    6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
    ON AND ON AND ON...

After talking about it for a bit with the owner, every joint made on the boom has a backing strip, every joint are welded right thru with a full penetration all the way in the backing. It will make everything sound solid.
    So all this done will make the almost as strong as it was when it was new.
    Then after I going to put a fishplate on the top and it will go cover both joint, I will put a fishplate on both side of the boom, these ones will extend pass both joints about 12 inches with a bunch of plug welds on them.
    These will make the boom stronger then new.
    I'll post some picks tomorrow after work, today it was going around with the root passes and adding backing on the edges where the top and bottom plates extend pass the side plate,
    Still have more passes to go before fishplating

Eric Carroll, The answer is yes.

Strengthening the top and bottom flange of the boom is stronger than reinforcing the sides, unless your trying to reinforce the boom to increase its capacity on a side swing.

Its not that fish plating the sides would'nt offer any added strength because it would.

But Lb. for Lb. you get more strength for the same amount of material used when adding it to the top and bottom.