Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by davinci2010 View Post
    If the owner isn't the operator; Is the operator on the business end of a shovel now?
    I dont really know?

I would use ( 4 ) 1" x 4" flat bar extending 8" - 12" past the crack with a 3/4" groove cut length wise so you can plug weld it.

There is already a 3/4" x 3/4" HRS in each of the 4 inside corners that I'm tying in.

Rules of thumb I've been told by a few good welders in this industry is less welding the better, but make sure you have enough though. The walls of the boom are 3/8 thick all around, so I have to stick with 3/8 reinforcement anything thicker will create a too stiff of an area and be prone to cracking, because it wont flex as well as other area.

Ive been doing this type of work for 24 years and have had my own business for 22 years.

Its my experience that if it re-breaks in the same area they want to know why you diddnt reinforce that area, Then they want you to fix it for free.

If it breaks breaks 2' away then you can say what you fixed held and they have no problem paying you to fix a new spot.

I understand however that there are alot of wanna bees on the forum so you want to go with advise from someone you know.

I'd probably do the same if I were in your shoes.

Heres a couple of my welding rigs that I built and operate.

Good luck it looks like a fun project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Portable, you should re-name yourself Portable welding shop on big wheels!
    Nice looking rig, very well set up.

Daniel, It looks like you know what you're doing and have got some good advise. I'd like to see the finished pics when you get them.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Portable, I put 4 1" X 1" hot rolled square on the 4 inside corner welded on to the 1/2" X 1/2" hot rolled square the was already there from the factory. Even though I explain to the owner the 1" X 4" that you recommended, as I liked the idea, he almost went for it. But he believes just the fishplate on the outside will make the boom stronger then when it was new.
    PS: Man that's what I call a rig. You almost could put a 20 tonnes press on that rig. Maybe you should.

Jonnytig, I'm going to take a few inches off the cylinder plate with the air arc so I can extend the fishplate passed the groove weld that is right at the tip of it.

Today I finished the inside prep for the new add-ons. Leveled and squared the 2 pieces together. I cut my plates, flame cut my bevels and tacked them in.
    Last edited by Daniel; 04-09-2010 at 06:42 PM.

There's a few more.

Man That cylinder anchor plate I think was too thick and is the reason why it snapped. It's exactly at the tip of that plate that the rip started. If that plate would have been thinner it could flexed better with the boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Man That cylinder anchor plate I think was too thick and is the reason why it snapped. It's exactly at the tip of that plate that the rip started. If that plate would have been thinner it could flexed better with the boom.
    They may not want that plate to flex to keep the welds fron cracking by the pin.

Thanks for the pictures daniel, I used to love doing that kind of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    They may not want that plate to flex to keep the welds fron cracking by the pin.

Thanks for the pictures daniel, I used to love doing that kind of work.
    Glad you to show. I love it all too, new and old or bent out of shape.
    I'll have more of it on tuesday evening after work I should have some fishplating done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Glad you to show. I love it all too, new and old or bent out of shape.
    I'll have more of it on tuesday evening after work I should have some fishplating done as well.
    Ive got a nice trencher project comming up. Alot of cracked welds and wore parts.