Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How about a little metal surgery...

I thought some of you guys would enjoy seeing this. This is the boom from a loader that the cylinder got changed for a more powerfull one so it can handle a bigger grab arms system. The guy pick up a big load of trees and dragged them and snap.

First look at the hurting piece of machinery
    Attached Images Attached Images

A little cut in here and there, then grind paint and inside mill scale of places where the backing will be tacked on. I'm going to have to add a 17 inches boxed piece to replace the mangled steel I cut off the boom. That's what I got done so far. Tommorow is another day.
    I'll keep you guys post as I go along if your interested to see the end.

There's a few more.

Looks like a nice project you can make a few $$$$ off of. I can't believe how some people treat equipment. Thanks for the pics.
    Jim

Things we do for money,

I like the work you've shown so far.. Just a suggestion though you may have this in mind already.

After the box section is welded in, I'd remove the hydraullic anchor and cut the fish plate back a few inches, then install a longer fish plate to cover the joint a few inches past the weld beside the anchor. Reinstall the anchor and she's back in service.

Just my 2 cents.

Jonny
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

The Peoples Republic of Southern California

Default My Job

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
    Looks like a nice project you can make a few $$$$ off of. I can't believe how some people treat equipment. Thanks for the pics.
    My job is to break it so that we have an excuse for having a welder on the payroll...

I'd fire my operator for being hard on my loader digging out those trees the other day ...but i am him

And i need to can my welder for taking too long to weld the hooks on the bucket ....but i am him

The only one that got anything done was the mechanic he only took 10 min to install the new seat.... dam that's me too
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
    OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
    Jackson EQC master (old)
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Spectrum 625 Extreme
    Suitcase 12RC
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Victor O/A
    Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
    Half a ton of tooling
    Rusty old truck

You should probably quit your job because your boss doesn't pay you enough ...but wait you're him

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    This is the boom from a loader that the cylinder got changed for a more powerfull one so it can handle a bigger grab arms system. The guy pick up a big load of trees and dragged them and snap.
    Any chance the cylinder will be changed back to the original?
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by 4sfed View Post
    Any chance the cylinder will be changed back to the original?
    Thats what I was thinking, it need the original cylinder or the arm is going to need to be beefed up.