Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Like to water ski,

My shop is 38 wide x 40' deep with a 16' ceiling.

I built 2 overhead cranes with hand pull bridges, I suffered for years without cranes.

I used to think having cranes could only be a pipe dream but building them wasnt all that expensive.
    They are 2 ton each and the cost not including the footings was about
    $ 16,000

As far as the shop goes scale your shop on a large poster board, cut all your tables, welder, steel racks and trucks out of more paper to the same scale.

You can then arrange them around your shop.

I also put pallet racking down each side of the shop and was able to weld the top of the outside leg to my runway beams letting me remove the lower portion of the outside leg. This gave me alot of storage.

Good luck, Your building a good size building.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Like to water ski,

My shop is 38 wide x 40' deep with a 16' ceiling.

I built 2 overhead cranes with hand pull bridges, I suffered for years without cranes.

I used to think having cranes could only be a pipe dream but building them wasnt all that expensive.
    They are 2 ton each and the cost not including the footings was about
    $ 16,000

As far as the shop goes scale your shop on a large poster board, cut all your tables, welder, steel racks and trucks out of more paper to the same scale.

You can then arrange them around your shop.

I also put pallet racking down each side of the shop and was able to weld the top of the outside leg to my runway beams letting me remove the lower portion of the outside leg. This gave me alot of storage.

Good luck, Your building a good size building.
    So you spent all yer bucks on tools and never got a camera

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Let me try getting some pictures, My kids have my shop computer messed up so this might not work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm in the same situation as you ski, I moved into my shop a year ago march and I'm still trying to figure out what works best. It's very much a personal preferance thing as I've been looking at everyones shop trying to find something I like. So far I've probably moved things around 4 times.

I remember a bud coming in one time and says, "move that damm drill press" Finally occurred to me it wasn't cemented in and didn't have to be there. I have it all on wheels or movable with pallet jack, almost anything could be changed at any time.

One of the first thoughts I had was some benches along the walls, I am glad I got away from that idea before investing in it. Wall space is for tool and storage, I like fab benches out where they can be walked around and the rest of it on carts. One mistake I made, while I did run a rod to ground bar for benched to sit on I didn't stub up a conduit for 120 power, I cut groove after the fact and added to it. Drop down cord or another one on the floor was a continuous hassle, always in the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default From the past

Here are a few of mine from the past. Please note that these are pictures when new.

My welding bench is on rollers so I can move it about.

This is the welding corner. Notice a hood in the corner vented to the outside.

I like good ventilation and here is my ventilated roof. A five hp fan powers it.

I rebuilt this Scotchman from the ground up. It is a very handy machine.

I have more pictures. The shop has progressed since then.

Jim

Super slick, I dont have a muncher, that and a finger brake are a couple tools on my list yet.

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for your input and pictures....