Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bumper plans

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    thats a brush guard... this is a moose bumper

http://www.truckersmall.net/herd.html bet its made in the states too.
    A guy next door to where I work has a Ranch Hand bumper/brush guard on his pickup. For a light/medium duty truck they look like a good setup. A heck of a lot tougher than a standard bumper.

Ok so I have hit; deer, dogs, cats, big birds, gates, trees, and even tapped a few cattle but a MOOSE. thats gota dent something.
    thanks dusty for the hint on the angles. I actualy found one this week that I am going to drag in and just copy.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    ive been wanting to make a bumper more like the road armor/ alien patrol bumper. i might get to it this winter or i may just make one like the ranchhand style.
    I was looking at those road armor bumpers they look prety cool but dang hard with all the wild angles. Are they built over a tube base or what?

no there not built over a frame its mostly brake work i think for me to build it i would have to build some kinda of frame jig to do it. i think i would make a model out of some thin plywood and hot glue it togethor to make the model then brake it down to make the pieces.

i think there would be alot of tack and tweak id imagine once you get some key pieces in all the real funky angles will fall in place. i would like to make the center section out of steel so i can put my winch in it and have a aluminum outer hmm or stainless??? i still really havent found a bumper i really really like

i still want to make a custom louvered stainless grille for my 97 F350 theres a grille i saw on a pete 379 that looked awesome!! it was like 1" strips at a 45deg angle. i want to make it so i can slide a bug screen or air block behind it
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

I've built a few bumpers. I've always had good luck making them on the truck out of 1/4" foam board (available at Walmart) first. Its pretty sturdy stuff.

i like the foam board idea easy to cut and holds shape

THANKS!!
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

I think I am going to try that

Quote Originally Posted by adambullet View Post
    hello. i came across your post because i was doing some research on these bumper guides that my friend recommended me which he got from that site. i was just hoping for some feedback in case anyone might have heard or tried these products. any help will be appreciated, thanks.
    They seem kinda pricey compared to the clearance sticks I've seen, although it may be the LED you are paying for.

Those Moose Guards are sweet lookin, I had to change a tire on a Volvo VN on the side of the road one night with one of them on it, makes it fun tryin to slide under there to get a jack on it.