Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Walking the cup, MIG and TIG...?

I have seen walking the cup for tig welding. I would like to try it but i have a few questions first.
    -Do I need a grove or not, if so what kind?
    -Do I need a special kind of cup?
    -Do I need to fidget with my paremeters (ie. rod, tungsten, voltage, gas)?

And I was watching this show on the discovery chanel, Howe & Howe Tech, and they where welding a fillet T joint on fairly thick steel (probaly 1/2 inch im guessing) with MIG. But what different was how he was welding, it looked like he was holding the shielding cup at the top with his left hand and rotating the handle in circles with his right hand. Does this have a name? How do I do it?

Thanks!
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

Default root pass

I watched a guy from Europe weld a pipe root pass with some metal-core(short circuit MIG transfer) a few weeks ago. He ran it using 1 hand, downhill, with the MIG gun nozzle riding the bevel. It was very similar to walking a TIG torch. Works good until spatter builds up to the point that the tip is shorted to the nozzle, at which point the nozzle welds itself to the joint....

Quote Originally Posted by welder_guy View Post
    I have seen walking the cup for tig welding. I would like to try it but i have a few questions first.
    -Do I need a grove or not, if so what kind?
    -Do I need a special kind of cup?
    -Do I need to fidget with my paremeters (ie. rod, tungsten, voltage, gas)?

And I was watching this show on the discovery chanel, Howe & Howe Tech, and they where welding a fillet T joint on fairly thick steel (probaly 1/2 inch im guessing) with MIG. But what different was how he was welding, it looked like he was holding the shielding cup at the top with his left hand and rotating the handle in circles with his right hand. Does this have a name? How do I do it?

Thanks!
    Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com
    Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas

Quote Originally Posted by A_DAB_will_do View Post
    I watched a guy from Europe weld a pipe root pass with some metal-core(short circuit MIG transfer) a few weeks ago. He ran it using 1 hand, downhill, with the MIG gun nozzle riding the bevel. It was very similar to walking a TIG torch. Works good until spatter builds up to the point that the tip is shorted to the nozzle, at which point the nozzle welds itself to the joint....
    I might try that. But what i saw them do was use both hands and the torch did no make contact with the metal.
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

I've tried it on flat groove welds with FCAW.

It's like the reverse of walking the cup you have to drag it. never tried it on the cap just for fill. Dont know if I'd do it on critical work - might get lack fusion depending on the groove profile.
    Bobcat 225
    The rest is bright RED "Tig & GMAW"
    Just got a new Hypertherm 30

Default Mig Big

I do alot of heavy plate with the Mig. 1/2" through 1-1/2"
    Spray, sheilded core and gasless
    If you are "SLAGING your DRAGING" is the rule around here.
    When we do these with reg MIG we push, backup and pause then push again.
    the slows the jack rabbits.

Not such a good technic with flux or metal core because you can push or pull slag into the weld, so keep moving, pulling all the way.

That's what works here, your shop may vary and probably does.
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll