Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding rig question

I am building a flatbed for my service truck. I will be using the bed as a table top and will have tables attached to bed. I am looking for advice as how to attach the bed to the frame without the electrical current running through my trucks electrical system. The frame to bed mount will have to be heavy duty. Any advice would be very helpful and most appreciated. I have searched past threads and havent found any info on this.

Unusual request, never thought about isolating the bed from the frame.

How about some UHMW?

http://www.interstateplastics.com/Bl...01004020522-6p
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Probably havnt heard about it because no one does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Unusual request, never thought about isolating the bed from the frame.

How about some UHMW?

http://www.interstateplastics.com/Bl...01004020522-6p
    UHMW would be about the only way I could think of doing it that it would work and actually last. But you would need to machine it to completely isolate the bolts from the deck frame AND the truck frame, you would also need UHMW washers. Sounds like a lot of work for something that doesn't give anyone any trouble. Just don't hook your ground clamp on the front bumper and weld on the work plate and you will be fine. Electricity is lazy, it ALWAYS takes the shortest path, ground directly to your work or at least directly to your work plate.

I have personally installed over 20 welding skids and 8 or 10 welding decks for customers, mostly on new diesel trucks of every brand as well as a few gas trucks. The only problem anyone had was one guy had some weird arcing between the hinges for the work table and the skid. He thought it was a faulty reel, but it turned out his brand new Lincoln 305G had a wire grounding out on the case. It essentially made the welder case hot and since it was bolted to the skid it made the skid hot as well, he got that fixed under warranty and no more problems. Even when he had the problems with the welder it never affected his diesel truck, and the mounting bolts between the skid and truck were not isolated.

Kinda a non issue if you ask me.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Ive always used wood between the rails of the flatbeds and truck frame.

In this case I was thinking of using the UHMW like flatbar. Ive had good luck cutting UHMW with a skilsaw, drill a couple holes in it, bolts, flat washers against the UHMW, and nylock nuts on the rails, and frame.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

I was told by a contractor who I sub for that Georgia DOT requires this to be done, along with all of the other ridiculous stuff. I looked at 2 of his service trucks that are equipped to weld and neither were mounted like that. Maybe he just needed something to talk about. I have worked off a trailer for 2 years and never had any problem. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I am trying to locate this official DOT regulation but cant find any info on this.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFwelder View Post
    I was told by a contractor who I sub for that Georgia DOT requires this to be done, along with all of the other ridiculous stuff. I looked at 2 of his service trucks that are equipped to weld and neither were mounted like that. Maybe he just needed something to talk about. I have worked off a trailer for 2 years and never had any problem. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I am trying to locate this official DOT regulation but cant find any info on this.
    Sounds like someone is blowing some smoke.
    It can be done but I really don't think it's necessary.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Quote Originally Posted by BMFwelder View Post
    Keep in mind that electronics for the most part aren't affected by the electrical current unless they become part of the circuit. So if you have your ground from you welder to your work and work lead from you welder to your work then there's no reason for the current to go off and get into trouble. Current is like a teenager most of the time. It will take the path of least resistance. Good cables and good connections will keep your current going only where it's supposed to go.

I see,,, the dreaded, "I was told by someone" regulation. The electric code book has several of those too, tough to find sometimes.

when he told me this I was remembering in high school shop class when welding on a truck we would disconnect a battery terminal. Thought there might be some truth to it. thanks alot