Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trouble with bobcat225g and 8vs feeder

Hello everyone....I was wondering if anyone out there uses a bobcat 225g with a wirefeeder. I have a 8vs and tried it on 3/16 plate but could not get any penitration...had it set to cv using .035 wire...should I try smaller wire? any sugestions would be apreciated..thank you

Are you using the right polarity??? Remember, Reverse Polarity is electrode positive.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

That should do that job no problem.

What are ALL of your machine settings.

Ranges, CV or CC.

Does the machine run up to high RPM?

a-

I have the process switched to negative for wirefeed...the amperage set all the way down where it says for wirefeed...the feeder is set to cv...and I'm using straight co2...the enigne revs up and welds fine when using stick...I will get a tach and see if the engine rpm's are running where it's supose to. thanks for the input I'll post what I find out.

Question

What type of wire are you running? If you are using shielding gas (100% CO2), and solid or gas-shielded flux-core wire, the gun should be DC+ and the work clamp Neg (-).

DC+ is "Reverse Polarity" (DCEP)

DC- is "Straight Polarity" (DCEN)

Also, make sure the switch inside the case of the 8VS is set to "CV" as well.

In other words, the Positive lead from the welder should plug in to the lead on the feeder.

The work clamp lead should be attached to the NEG lug on the welder, and the voltage sensing clamp from the feeder should be attached to your work as well, to complete the curcuit.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 03-31-2010 at 06:01 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

did some more research and it seems like everyone says these are very cold blooded machines(the onan engines). it worked better after letting it run for probably a half hour. I didn't get a tach yet to check the rpm's on it. and since I did rebuild the engine it probably needs to be adjusted. picked it up last summer for $200 with a rod out. and just recently got the feeder off of ebay. I also tried it on cc, doesn't weld very smooth but ya get alot more heat. thanks for the helpful advice!!!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    I have the process switched to negative for wirefeed...the amperage set all the way down where it says for wirefeed...the feeder is set to cv...and I'm using straight co2...the enigne revs up and welds fine when using stick...I will get a tach and see if the engine rpm's are running where it's supose to. thanks for the input I'll post what I find out.
    Doesn't sound like you've got things hooked up properly.

There are 3 "lugs" on the front of the machine. Facing the machine, on the extreme left is the "work" lug (ground). The two on the right are for CC (Stick & TIG) and CV (wire feed)

Earlier I asked what type of wire are you running? Whether it's solid MIG, or gas-shielded flux-cored wire, you should have the polarity selector set to "+"

Hook the lead from the "CV" lug to your feeder. The machine's ground clamp, and the feeder's "ground" clamp should both be attached to your work.

Set the machine to "CV" output, and adjust the voltage around 21-22 volts, and the WFS on your feeder to 320-340 IPM. There's a chart inside the lid of the feeder which gives operating parameters.

I don't see a need to let the machine "heat up" for over 1/2 an hour to make it weld correctly. If it welds fine in CC mode (stick), it has to be a hook up issue with your feeder.

Keep in mind, voltage drop has to be considered. Depending on your cable size and length, you may need to adjust your voltage higher (by a volt or 2) to compensate. If you find your wire "stubbing" out, increase the voltage. If you find that adjustment creating too much penetration, reduce voltage and WFS. You just have to "play" with it to get optimum performance.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 04-10-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

I think Dave is right. Sounds like a connection issue.
    is the Voltage rage selector in the correct area for the voltage you need??
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Dave, Trailblazers have 3 weld output lugs as you describe, however Bobcats have only 2 lugs, positive and negative. The process switch on the face of the machine has CV and CC positions, as well as Neg and Pos electrode positions. He can select CV (wire) NEG or POS on the selector switch, high or low output, and then use the fine dial to adjust it from there.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Actually, the earlier Bobcats had 3 output studs too. I have a 225G 'parts' unit with the 3 studs and a three years newer 225G Plus working unit with only 2 and a CV setting on the process selector switch.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110