Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Quick Square Bar Bender

First find two pipes or round bars that are the same diameter.
    Firmly hold them in a vise.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Place the square bar between the two cylinders in a direction you wish to push.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

With this 5mm square aluminium bar place your hands close to the forming tube and push the bar around it to form the curve you require.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

And in just a few minutes using only a vise and some scrap pipe you have a 180 deg bent bar.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Default your bender

I like it. Simple, effective, and adjustable! And not expensive either! I like it.
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Hi Strube,
    I am pleased you like it.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Talking

Where do you add the hydraulic oil?
    All kidding aside, this reminds me of a poorboy brake I used on one job. Two pieces of 2" flat stock a little longer than my workpiece was wide. Clamp said workpiece between them with lots of c-clamps. Start bend along edge of flat stock with a hand seamer and finish with a hammer. I earned my money on that job!

Hi Davinici,
    I am with you mate.
    This system is not going to fold half inch steel nor does one have to spend 40hours on the mill and lathe to make it.
    Remember most of these jobs were done by hand with simple tools only twenty years ago.
    If there is some one out there that wants to get into scroll work but does not have the cash to buy a bender or know how to do it this is a cheap and very interesting place to start.

The two tubes cost about $5.00 and the alloy square cost about $2.00 coupled with a vise and you can start scrolling.
    Give it a go if you don't like it it has not cost much to try it if you do like it your passion will dictate your path.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Get a couple pieces of different sized pipe and weld them to a piece of angle iron with a Stop- like your 2nd piece of Pipe- and you have a set of bending jigs.

Drop the Angle in the vise.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus