Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding rig question

I currently am working with a trailer that I have most of my equipment on.
    Everytime I go to a job, I have to hook up the trailer.
    I am considering a dedicated truck, thinking of a van. I have a gas drive, mig, plasma and torches, along with everything else.
    My son thinks we need a utility truck, i think a van would be more pratical, other than needing to get in to start/adjust the machines.
    Most of our work is trash trucks/dumpsters and general maintenance. WE do not do construction or that type of work.
    What are the benifits or challenges of my thoughts?

A van is easier to lock down and rain tight, I like a truck to work from better although a van could be rigged. I went from truck to trailer and back to trucks but am back to the point I could use a trailer again as that work dropped off. If I was regular it would be truck, the hook, unhook gets old fast.

Exclamation

Running a gasoline engine inside a van (or a box van body) can be dangerous.

Exhaust gases build up deadly levels of CO in a matter of minutes. To say nothing that these same gases would be sucked into the intake of the engine, causing even poorer performance.

Listed under the products tab, "engine drives," Miller has a tutorial regarding the proper mounting proceedures for their engine driven welders.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default Well u exit the exhaust into the vans muffler....

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Running a gasoline engine inside a van (or a box van body) can be dangerous.

Exhaust gases build up deadly levels of CO in a matter of minutes. To say nothing that these same gases would be sucked into the intake of the engine, causing even poorer performance.

Listed under the products tab, "engine drives," Miller has a tutorial regarding the proper mounting proceedures for their engine driven welders.
    When put inside a van or enclosed compartment, all which is needed is a section of flexable pipe to route to the muffler system of the truck, or outside the van, through the floor. If it were me, if I did not need a crane I work out of a trailer, less insurance, more practical, simple. However I think a van, more over a cube van could have a lot of advantages, such as enclosed work space, less input cost, and easier to secure.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    When put inside a van or enclosed compartment, all which is needed is a section of flexable pipe to route to the muffler system of the truck, or outside the van, through the floor. If it were me, if I did not need a crane I work out of a trailer, less insurance, more practical, simple. However I think a van, more over a cube van could have a lot of advantages, such as enclosed work space, less input cost, and easier to secure.
    Kevin
    One would think, that one would consider this, but, one never knows
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default I do agree....

Some would route it into the cab!
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Default Welding rig

Build your own sick version of want you what. It also shows your customers your abilities. If done right, you will have a rig better than you could buy. This was one of the best thing I did. Also, my truck was featured in an industry magazine with an articule I wrote. Doesn't help your business any better than that!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Default Cube vans work pretty well

My son in law has a cube van for his gate business. Little Miller Bobcat with exhaust through the floor. Steel rack and compressor on one side and a bench (with more steel underneath), a drill press and tool storage on the other. Long leads, a B tank torch, small Lincoln MIG and a tool box at the back.

Mobile rig that pretty much covers all.
    OhioDave

HOTsdale AZ

Default Its all up to you to pick (What ever fits your needs)

Hello,
    Ive been running a weld rig for the best part of 30 yrs.Theres pro and cons in both truck vs trailor.Ive done both.(Now using trailor)Ive had both utility trucks and box trucks.The Box was better.(If U used a Truck platform)I had a used snap-on truck that I stripped the shelves out,put a bulk head in behind the seat.I had everthing you can think of in this truck.Now since the economy isnt the best I decided to down size to an inclosed trailor.The bennies to me is my welder and all equipment is secure and out of the elements.I pull it with a dually truck,that leaves the truck open for other things then just a welding rig truck.
    Just another idea.
    Happy Holidays.
    Welder99