Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Nozzle and Flux-core

Is the brass nozzle on my mig torch only necessary if I'm using gas? Do you guys ever remove it when using FC? I'm thinking I could get in to some corners a little easier without it, but I haven't actually tried it. Not sure if I'm missing something here.

Also, my used MM135 came with an angled nozzle which I haven't tried. I'm not sure if it was an after-market purchase or came with the welder new. Would that be the way to go instead of removing the nozzle altogether?

Matt.
    "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Millermatic 135
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Band
    Fully charged fire extinguisher

Default Nozzle-less

Matt: If you have an M-10 gun, you should use the gassless nozzle (#226190). It keeps all the spatter from going back down into your gas-diffuser and liner, and provides you with better visibility to maintain the proper CTWD (contact tip to work distance).

CTWD is very important when FCAW. 5/8" is recommended for .035 wire. This "pre-heats" the wire prior to making contact with the work piece.

Be sure and change the machine's polarity. DCEN is used for FCAW. The gun should be connected to the NEG (-) Terminal, and the work clamp to the POS (+) terminal.

If you are using an M-25 gun, you'll have to convert it over to accept Bernard Q-300 consumables, and then purchase the NS-FLX FCAW nozzle kit.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Thumbs up Thanks, Dave.

That's just what I need. I'm using the M-10 gun. I didn't know there was a FC nozzle. Going to order one tonight,
    "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Millermatic 135
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Band
    Fully charged fire extinguisher

The FCAW nozzle also insulates the tip to prevent a direct short circuit to the workpiece in case you slip. This is not good for the machine.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal