Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi Sbray,
    That guy is great.
    He is using the same aluminium angle to square the sides as me, cool.
    He has the diamonds facing up in the floor of his box, I have found that that looks great but is hard to clean.

I wish I could weld that fast.

Ji
    Last edited by Jigantor; 04-05-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Grip it and Rip it

Default LARGER BINs

I go to scrap yards and one in particular sells things like those aluminum cross-bed tool boxes.

It doesn't matter what it is, all their aluminum gets sold for $1 a pound. I have a number of tool boxes that would sell used for over $100 that I bought for anywhere from $30 to $60. I tig the holes closed or I just throw stuff into them.
    They are leakproof. I leave them outside bolted to my stock rack and the contents stay dry. I take the locks to a smith to get new keys made.

By the way, I'm in Ohio.

What part of Ohio you in? That sounds like a scrap yard worth checkin out. Our local ones have mostly shred, nothin worth taking a look at.

Oh, and I don't know what you are paying to have new keys made up for the locks, but if the locks are the same style that I have on my box (round ones with a tab that turns on the back) They sell em at Tractor Supply for like 4 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    I then switched on the TIG welder and let it warm up for 30 minutes before welding up the side joint.

Ji
    This only applies to a brand new inverter,and it only needs to be done once.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Hi Letzgoaracin,
    In the begining I was after any kind of a metal bin for sale. Then I wanted something shiny like alloy or stainless steel. In the end I would have settled for just about any kind of metal but there was none for sale.
    Friends did suggest using a 20 litre oil drum but after they saw my floor retracted their recommendation.

Ji
    BAM floor I also retract

If you are just starting out aluminium welding or setting up a welding bay or workshop a bin is the first thing you should have a go at making.
    It teaches you all the skills.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it