Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

not to jack your thread but trans fluid drums which are usually about 20 gal drums work AWESOME just call up some local shops sure you could find one.

Hi Jerónimo,
    I find that part easy,
    Just position your torch hand so it runs with the joint.
    These outside edge welds lend themselves to this style.
    Keep up the practise it is worth it.
    A metal bin does not sound like a hard thing to find for sale but it can be.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Hi Letzgoaracin,
    In the begining I was after any kind of a metal bin for sale. Then I wanted something shiny like alloy or stainless steel. In the end I would have settled for just about any kind of metal but there was none for sale.
    Friends did suggest using a 20 litre oil drum but after they saw my floor retracted their recommendation.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Bin two after being folded and clamped ready to have the side seam welded up.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

The alloy angle I use to square up the side seam also acts like a heat sink and helpd remove some heat from the 1.4mm bin material.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Always acetone wipe your filler rod before welding.
    Look at how much oxide and junk I got off this new rod straight from the plastic bag.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

5 feet of welding later I have another alloy tread plate bin for my workshop.
    These are very handy, easy to store and look great, but best of all they give you a lot more experiance on the torch.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    I then switched on the TIG welder and let it warm up for 30 minutes before welding up the side joint.

Ji
    Why would you let it "warm up" for 30 minutes?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Hi MMW,
    I read on this forum a thread by a chap that services welding units that inverter type TIG units need to balance for a while prior to use. I gave it a go and found that my welder performed better as suggested.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Default Workshop Bin

Great job on the bins, they really look good!

I just received a video from Welding Tips and Tricks on a related subject of building aluminum boxes using TIG. Here is the link to the video:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...g-project.html

Thought you might find it interesting!

Steve