Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default New welding skill

Gas welding Aluminum and Atomic Hydrogen Welding (just so I know how)
    Last edited by Stillwelding; 03-22-2010 at 09:59 PM.

I am in a real oxy-acetylene renaissance. In the last year, I finally figured out that there's almost nothing you can't do with OA. And there are a lot of times when it's really the best option... like when you're fixing something you can't get a vehicle within 100 feet of... or where electrical welding would be unduly hazardous.

OA is by far my favorite method now. And therefore I'd like to master all of its capabilities.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Default Pipe Worx

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc537 View Post
    For me it would be to get better @ Stick, then Tig and then Orbital. those ore the two most popular processes in the pipefitting industry, and i would love to have those 2 certifications to make me more attractive to the employers in the local. even though our Open root stick certification tests are written to ASME B31.1 specs, most power piping jobs spec tig roots for cleanliness. unfortuately orbital welding is the wave of the future for us. Chip plants, and bio-pharmaceutical plants are all looking for/requiring the high purity of orbital welding.

Dave- the pipeworks system is AMAZING. I haven't had a chance to use it, but the last shop i was with bought 2 and I got to seem them in action.
    Very impressive. its an all in one system that is just built for fab shop production.
    I've got the short CD regarding the system. Miller has really done their home work. The advances in the applications has opened many opportunities in the pipe fab industry.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    I've got the short CD regarding the system. Miller has really done their home work. The advances in the applications has opened many opportunities in the pipe fab industry.
    yeah, its nice if your doing a lot production. I like the fact that a weldor can insert a standard camera memory card and save up to 8 different settings for the 3 processes it will run. and then walk away. and no matter when they get back to the machine, just insert the card and boom back to where you were. we were doing a ton of prefab for a large chiller project and we had most of the guys outside, stick welding eveything and two guys inside using the pipeworx and migging every thing. once the guys inside got it down it was a super time saver.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Default RMD & Pro-Pulse

Damage: Miller did a feature article about Bel-Aire mechanical here in Phoenix when they switched from stick and conventional MIG over to RMD and Pro-Pulse. Increased production, less "down time," and higher quality welds.

Naturally, the crew is UA Local 469 Phoenix

I'm sure the article is still on the web-site under Industries & Interests, if not you can Google Bel-Aire Mechanical, Phoenix if you'd like to read it.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 03-24-2010 at 05:12 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

dave thanks i'll check it out.. the only thing with the mig is that it hasn't been proven strong enough for high pressure applications that i know of. we've done some bend tests, at the apprentice school, stick/tig vs. mig and the migs didn't hold up as well. i'd use it for every thing but power piping.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

I'd sure like to learn some of the exotics like titanium and inconel. Not really practical for my uses but that's probably why i haven't pursued them yet.