Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default If you could learn any type of welding.....

Interesting thought, what type of welding do you currently want to learn how to do for practical reasons? Any particular applications? And why? I asked a number of students this, and the answers were typically either A) I want to fix XXX or B) I saw it on TV and it looked cool. So whats YOUR story?
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Default Pulse

Aero
    I have been welding ,tig, mig and stick for 40plus years..... but I sure would like to better understand PULSE TIG and the available waveshaping functions for it... as well as having a better understanding of PULSE MIG..... Have Dynasty 350 & 200DX and MM350P.... for the most part they all get used in the traditional manner... I know I am NOT alone.. If there were a handbook/cookbook that addressed this in some depth there are many many guys out there that are struggling with this problem.....I know lots of guys in the same boat but are embarrassed to admit it publicly... these are wonderful machines... but better training tools are needed... would happily purchase a good book .. or attend a training seminar.... Bet that Miller would sell many more machines if their advantages could be fully utilized...
    thanks
    Heiti

BTW... do not get me wrong... am using some of those capabilities... but KNOW that I have only scratched the surface.... in my understanding and utilization...
    Last edited by H80N; 03-22-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: clarity

I guess if I had to pick one to add to the list it might be welding alum with a torch, just never took the time to do it and it could come in handy on occasion.
    Just finished 2-6 inch pipe couplings about 10 minutes ago with the HH210, so fast its what I use in the shop for 99% of it.
    Making myself a better welder wont help me much anymore, lots more issues to being profitable in my case. Most of my stuff is so rudimentary, the majority common steel work.

Hi
    After a minute or two thinking about it I come up with
    three sort of inter-woven answers

- first just get better at what I already can do (I know,
    practice, practice, practice :-)
    - be able to do do thin/small stuff (more practice, I know)
    - TIG (or O/A)

The reasons (at least for the TIG) are that
    any welding I do is for fun, projects around the house, and
    so on -- and there's a lot of light-weight stuff and non-iron
    stuff in that category. It would seem to me that TIG or O/A
    would give me some good abilities for dealing with small
    things and thin stuff, as well as non-iron things because
    they separate the heat source from the filler metal.

Frank

Default Pulsed MIG

Pulsed MIG would be interesting to learn. My MM-212 is your pretty basic MIG machine, though I have no complaints about it's short arc abilities.

Miller's PipeWorx Welding System with their RMD and Pro-Pulse Feature would be fun to try as well.

To echo H80N, there are many advances in MIG and TIG these days, it's hard to break "traditional" methods. I guess it's always easier just to grab a stinger
    Last edited by davedarragh; 03-22-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

For me it would be to get better @ Stick, then Tig and then Orbital. those ore the two most popular processes in the pipefitting industry, and i would love to have those 2 certifications to make me more attractive to the employers in the local. even though our Open root stick certification tests are written to ASME B31.1 specs, most power piping jobs spec tig roots for cleanliness. unfortuately orbital welding is the wave of the future for us. Chip plants, and bio-pharmaceutical plants are all looking for/requiring the high purity of orbital welding.

Dave- the pipeworks system is AMAZING. I haven't had a chance to use it, but the last shop i was with bought 2 and I got to seem them in action.
    Very impressive. its an all in one system that is just built for fab shop production.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

H 80 N, I've done some experimenting with the pulse Tig on stainless and aluminum and find my self turning it off after a while.

Being able to change my frequincy on the other hand is something that I do use.
    Being able to pin point the arc when I'm welding down into a corner has been helpful when doing aluminum work.

Portable Welder
    I believe that speaks to what I was saying... if we were to have a better understanding of all these functions we would be able to do a lot more... I know.. it is my perrenial squawk... BUT Bet they would sell a lot more of these high end machines if there was a good handbook... I am learning slow but sure by watching others and listening to tips ... and just plain playing with them..
    thanks
    Heiti

Default Pipe Worx

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc537 View Post
    For me it would be to get better @ Stick, then Tig and then Orbital. those ore the two most popular processes in the pipefitting industry, and i would love to have those 2 certifications to make me more attractive to the employers in the local. even though our Open root stick certification tests are written to ASME B31.1 specs, most power piping jobs spec tig roots for cleanliness. unfortuately orbital welding is the wave of the future for us. Chip plants, and bio-pharmaceutical plants are all looking for/requiring the high purity of orbital welding.

Dave- the pipeworks system is AMAZING. I haven't had a chance to use it, but the last shop i was with bought 2 and I got to seem them in action.
    Very impressive. its an all in one system that is just built for fab shop production.
    I've got the short CD regarding the system. Miller has really done their home work. The advances in the applications has opened many opportunities in the pipe fab industry.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    I've got the short CD regarding the system. Miller has really done their home work. The advances in the applications has opened many opportunities in the pipe fab industry.
    yeah, its nice if your doing a lot production. I like the fact that a weldor can insert a standard camera memory card and save up to 8 different settings for the 3 processes it will run. and then walk away. and no matter when they get back to the machine, just insert the card and boom back to where you were. we were doing a ton of prefab for a large chiller project and we had most of the guys outside, stick welding eveything and two guys inside using the pipeworx and migging every thing. once the guys inside got it down it was a super time saver.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood