Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default looking for flatbed ideas

I`m building a flatbed for my 69 pick up, the outside frame work is made of 2x4 tubing and measures 75'' x 8'1'' long.I am using 5'' x 2'' 3/16 wall tubing for the main runners.First, I`m wondering if I nead to put any gussets on the runners or if the weld alone is enough(they are welded on the main frame and every runner all four sides of each joint). Second, I am planning on putting a slide out ramp in the frame rails like what you would see on a u haul truck.With the ramp, I would like to plate the rear of the bed and have a hinged door that when closed would hide the ramp.I`m thinking about using a utility box style handle and making the hinge out of round stock and pipe on the back side to give it a cleen look. Has any one done this?If you have any ideas, and or pictures I would like to see them.Thanks

you shouldn't need gussets on the cross members
    I would only weld 2 sides of the xmembers welding all 4 would lead
    to fatigue problems over time.
    Over the years all flatbeds i've built we only weld 2 sides of the xmembers

I have attach a very rough drawing to show what I mean
    Attached Images Attached Images

In maine you cant weld to the frame so check your state laws.

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    Hey...do you realize that you are singlhandedly turning this forum wrong side out???

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    I believe that he is talking about the frame rails of the flatbed...the ones that bolt down to the vehicle frame...

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson