Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concrete

Default thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon467 View Post
    those look real good, whats the price range something like though? what woul u charge for the counter tops in the second picture?
    Thank you! Our base price is $75.00 sq/ft
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

I was thinking it would be cool to make a concrete surface to mount my 8x24 table-top lathe. I figure that would clobber any chance of vibration. Ah yes, another project.

Default Another Project

This is my kitchen countertop. Industrial Grey, with Under-Mount Sink, and Integrated Drain Board. Also note Stainless Steel Backsplash made from scrap i picked up from the recycling center and treated with a 3M pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.9 KB, 130 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (27.0 KB, 123 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (37.7 KB, 120 views)
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

Default "Counter-Point"

Jesse: Those all look really nice. How much does that kitchen counter weigh? Do you use 3/8" rock and mix the color in the batch? 2500# mix?
    As the counter top will be subject to water, do you add entrained air in your mix?

The outdoor types are very popular out here in Phoenix.

Again, looks great, like a granite top!
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default Info

At this point we are using CSA (calcium sulfoaluminate) Cement with a water to cement ratio of 0.35. This gives us compression strength of 10,000psi. As for aggregate it is all the Clients choice. We usually use a standard pea-gravel mix (many sizes of stone) because this will produce a denser mix. Small Stones fit between large stones. But we can also replace the stone with Colored Glass pieces as seen in the desktop picture. Or subtract it all together (use a sand mix) to get the desired look that we are going for. Color is added in the mix using natural or synthetic pigments. It is colored all the way through!. This means you will never have to worry about the finish rubbing of, as with staining. There is also Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete where you use structural rated glass fibers in place of the stone. This will also produce a stronger lighter mix. NO entrained air! In fact we use plasticizers and other methods to get a “fluid mix” to reduce air pockets, and improve workability. All Countertops are sealed with a onetime epoxy urethane sealer that is impenetrable to water and most staining agents.

Standard for weight is about 18lbs a sq. ft. at 1.5 inches thick.

Concrete is not for everyone, bit is is another choice that is out there! It is highly creative and you can personalize it for a client. And because it is hand crafted from scratch is is somewhat costly. I
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

Default Counter Tops

I know exactly what you're talking about. Fiber-Mesh, Stealth, Harborite, are used for re-inforcing in shotcrete, walks, and driveways out here.

Masterbuilders 400-N is the most common plasticizer, but Rheo-Build 1000 was used in the support columns at Chase Field, and the new Cardinal's Stadium. That was 7000# mud w/ 1/2" rock!

Decorative concrete is an art all it's own. You do very nice work.

We had a computerized liquid color system that could keep colors consistent throughout the pour (fractional yds, etc), added right in the drum, and could make any color of the rainbow. We poured a tennis court for a costumer, just as green as if you painted it.

People would be surprised if they could see the batch records of what actually goes into Redy-Mix concrete. They ave no idea of the water-reducers, rust inhibitors, and other chemicals used.

About the "purest" mud going these days is "State" mud (2500-4000#) used in box-beam bridge frames, decks, and PCCP (white paving).

FAA (runway mud) is a special "flex-mix" all it's own. Been on those jobs, the inspectors might give you a 1/2" +/- at the slump cone, if you're lucky.

Don't even want to get into "nuclear plant mud." There's some wild stuff. 2" slump, juiced to a 6" at the plant, arrive on the job, back to 2", add 10 more gallons of "mystery" juice, wetted to 6" again, spray bars, ice, chilled water, pump out in a couple of minutes, what's not used, dump in their pit. It would set up in the drum, otherwise.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 04-15-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default CNC Water Jet cut embedments

CNC Water Jet cut embedments in concrete work table! I am making this table for the Howell high school shop teacher. He dose leather work as a hobby and wanted a nice work-table that he could use at motorcycle shows. All embedments were cut out on the high schools water jet, that I take advantage of sometimes myself. This table has a 3 inch drop edge and is a close to the Harley burnt orange color.

Pictures taken after 2nt grind and before sealer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by jessehornberger View Post
    All Countertops are sealed with a onetime epoxy urethane sealer that is impenetrable to water and most staining agents.
    I was wondering if you could give me a product name and supplier of this sealer?
    Thanks
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default sealer

The sealer we are using now is called EAP. You can get it online at http://www.concretecountertopsupply....play/Home.html
    in the past we have also used StoneLok, but switched to Eap for the ease of application. Our Next large investment is for a UV (Ultraviolet Light) Curing Sealer System which is the most technically advanced sealer available! You put the stuff on, wave a special light over it and it is cured!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil
    10" Swing Logan Lathe

Default Concrete

I don't care who ya are. That there is purty stuff! There's a guy here in town who does that too. Really getting popular.
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!