Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stair Railing

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    The only importance of having the inspector look at anything to the state is to make sure the state gets all the money they are due in fees.
    It's not just the fees as they mostly cover the inpectors, inspections & paperwork but they want to know of any upgrades/improvements so they can raise the taxes on the property. They also try to make sure it is done in a safe manner.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thanks for the comments everyone, yes Bodybagger, even you!

The rails are 1 1/4" sq with 1 9/16" cap rail. From the best we could tell, the avg. aggregate size was about 1/4" for the precast steps. We are 2" +- from the edge and epoxy was put on the anchors. As for the total ADA compliance, the building went with nothing for over 70 years. People are just glad to have something to grab onto.

I do my best to do it right, but sometime regs can be confusing has h3ll. I have done work in 3 cities close to me and none have identical regs.
    Rick

Trying to succeed, Learning by failing
    HH210 (Merry Christmas to Me)
    HH 140
    Hyper Therm Powermax 600
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Forge
    Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
    HydMech 225 cold saw
    several grinders
    Rigid Chop Saw
    4x6 band saw
    Never enough clamps

Hey, you did a good job. And strike issue one as graspability is covered. And with epoxy, there is no splitting force developed, so you're in the clear there too. And as far as having two rails, there's nothing you can do if the owner only wants one!

I never want to make anyone feel bad with my criticism except for the periodic occasion when someone flaunts an obvious disrespect for the codes. It's hard enough keeping up that it's probably impossible to cover every base and run a job at the same time.

That said, the building inspectors are not running a job. They are there to nitpick. But what obviously happens is that when they call out every little detail, they get political pressure from city officials (who believe firmly that inspection is a revenue generator, and not for the safety and welfare of the public) that want to keep the building permit revenue flowing.

I feel sorry for a person who has to worry about being fired for doing their job to the best of their abilities.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    I feel sorry for a person who has to worry about being fired for doing their job to the best of their abilities.
    Ain't that some truth!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rick

Trying to succeed, Learning by failing
    HH210 (Merry Christmas to Me)
    HH 140
    Hyper Therm Powermax 600
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Forge
    Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
    HydMech 225 cold saw
    several grinders
    Rigid Chop Saw