Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stair Railing

Default Stair Railing

This is a stair railing that I completed this week. It is about 10 long. Everyone was very pleased with the results. Scrolls are from King Metals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick

Trying to succeed, Learning by failing
    HH210 (Merry Christmas to Me)
    HH 140
    Hyper Therm Powermax 600
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Forge
    Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
    HydMech 225 cold saw
    several grinders
    Rigid Chop Saw
    4x6 band saw
    Never enough clamps

Cool

Nice work Rick...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default nice

looks great.

Are the codes for spacing of pickets different on a railing that goes up the middle of the stairs? How did you mount it to the concrete?
    MnT

Looks good.

nice job RicK
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MNT View Post
    looks great.

Are the codes for spacing of pickets different on a railing that goes up the middle of the stairs? How did you mount it to the concrete?
    The county passed it and it meets ADA. We matched the existing precast concrete scrolls in the overhead of the entrance. That was a have to for National Historic registry. It had to be mounted with base plates so it could be removed. I would have preferred to core drill.
    Rick

Trying to succeed, Learning by failing
    HH210 (Merry Christmas to Me)
    HH 140
    Hyper Therm Powermax 600
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Forge
    Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
    HydMech 225 cold saw
    several grinders
    Rigid Chop Saw
    4x6 band saw
    Never enough clamps

It seems like I'm always the resident nit pick. Oh well, here goes. I see 3 issues.

1: It does not appear that the top rail meets the graspability requirement of IRC/IBC which requires a minimum of 4" section perimeter and a maximum of 6.25" section perimeter (which means you're locked into using 1.25" or 1.5" tubing if you chose square). 1" square tubing has a section perimeter less than 4" due to rounding of the corners. It appears that the top rail is smaller than 1 1/4", but it's hard to tell for sure from the picture.

2: It looks like the anchors are darn close to the edge of the concrete at the bottom of the stairs, which will lead to splitting. The minimum edge distance for anchors is given in "the concrete code" ACI 318 D.8.3

D.8.3 — Unless determined in accordance with D.8.4, minimum edge distances for post-installed anchors shall be based on the greater of the minimum cover requirements for reinforcement in 7.7, or the minimum edge distance requirements for the products as determined by tests in accordance with ACI 355.2, and shall not be less than 2.0 times the maximum aggregate size. In the absence of product-specific ACI 355.2 test information, the minimum edge distance shall be taken as not less than:
    Undercut anchors .............................................. 6d
    Torque-controlled anchors ................................. 8d
    Displacement-controlled anchors .................... 10d
    3: I'd make it clear and get something in writing that it's understood that this center handrail does not make these stairs code compliant. A protective railing is required on both sides due to height. Having the building inspector sign off on it provides absolutely no indemnification for you.

That said, they look great and appear to fit a historic property nicely.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksidebottom View Post
    The county passed it and it meets ADA.
    I thought about it for a second and thought ADA Accessibility Guidelines require 2 handrails. And in fact, these stairs DO NOT meet ADA Accessibility Guidelines.
    4.9.4* Handrails. Stairways shall have handrails at both sides of all stairs.
    http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm
    Last edited by Bodybagger; 03-21-2010 at 08:43 PM.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

So what is the value or need of a inspection? My understanding is that an official from city or state inspects and past it then it is approved.

The only importance of having the inspector look at anything to the state is to make sure the state gets all the money they are due in fees.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth72 View Post
    So what is the value or need of a inspection? My understanding is that an official from city or state inspects and past it then it is approved.
    --------When we rebuilt my house a couple years ago I had to sign a form for the town that basically said I am responsible for making sure that all codes/regulations are met & that the town & inspectors are not liable for anything they pass that is not up to code. The emphasis of this form was for EPA & wetlands but they just made it to cover everything. So to answer your question the inspectors I have dealt with do the best they can but don't know everything.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24