Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Newbie Introduction!

Hi, my name is Ryan and i'd like to introduce myself! I'm 26 and I live in Southern California and i'm pretty new to welding and I love it! I'm enrolled in 3 welding classes at my local community college. I have a class in SMAW, GTAW, and a introduction one that covers OFW,GMAW,FCAW,SMAW & GTAW. I'd like to make welding a career and appreciate any advice I can get. I also just bought my first welder today, a Dynasty 200SD! So I think i'm off to a good start.

The purchase of a new Dynasty 200 should be enough motivation to keep you going when you get so frustrated you’ll want to pull your hair out! When you get to that point, (and you will) just pull out the receipt to that Dynasty, you’ll get back under that helmet!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

LoL That's great advice! Tig welding is proving frustraing as well as E6010 vertical up haha

what are your issues with e6010 uphand?
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Well it's my second day in lab with the E6010 vertical up, and i've tried afew different ways of whipping the electrode but i'm having issues with undercut on my tee-joint. It seems if I wait to let the puddle fill up the weld starts to sag down and when I go fast enough to get it flat it dosen't cover enough. I'm using a straight whip with the electrode pointed up at a slight angle. Hope that wasen't confusing lol

Have you tried more of a "c" (or in this case a "u") pattern? holding the sides slightly longer then through the middle, while comming slightly back into the puddle? i know thats what we usually do on a vertical down progression.

personally i find 6010 a little easier to run with an open root and groove, then you just need to keyhole it.

hope it helps, and if im wrong i'm sorry and i'm sure people wil tell me so!
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno! View Post
    i'm having issues with undercut on my tee-joint.
    What brand of 6010 are you using?
    Maybe you’re running a little to hot, and remember arc length is very important!
    Have you played with the Dig option on your 200 yet? I like to run 6010 with about 95% Dig. I like how it stacks at 95%. 7018 out of position I run 100% on the Dig.
    Caution!

try running a backwards J pattern, it works for me, you have to be sure to watch the puddle, when you see it start to solidify bring the electrode back down, its almost like doing a bunch of tack welds on top of eachother, but its simple and works perfectly fine. well for me at least, everyone is different. hope this helps :]
    Lala

Thanks for the info everyone! No, I have only experimented with the whip and circles patterns. The circles up didin't work at all for me and I had alittle bit of success with the whip so i'll def. try the U and J patterns to see how they do. I'm not sure the brand of electrodes they get at school. I think tomorrow I'm going to keep adjusting my amperage and trying stringers to find the sweet spot for me. That might have been a factor and i'll concentrate on keeping the arc length short. I haven't got the 200 yet, i'm still waiting on ups but I can't wait to use it. I'm on and old DialArc at school. How do the Dig settings affect the Electrodes? Thanks!!

The more % of Dig you use the stiffer / non-flowing the puddle will be. The less % of dig you use will give you a wetter / more flowing puddle. If you go below say 50% it harder to keep an arc going, blink your eyes and you’ll stick the rod!

If your welding supplier has them or will get them, try ESAB’s 10P plus 6010.
    I also like the “J” pattern.
    Caution!