Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Legalities of selling products to other companies

Hey guys, Im curious what you guys think of this idea.

I'm considering the possibility of marketing some of my projects to other companies that I do business with.

For example I'm developing a mechanism to open, sort and stack certain chemical containers when they are mixing chemicals to service a gas well.
    All the design work, fabrication and testing is done by my shop however the company that this device is for is paying for the prototype costs.
    They have merely given me the concept of the device and the parameters with which they expect the device to operate in.

Is it legal for me to try to sell the finished product to other companies?
    Is there intellectual or other copyrights protecting the original client from me doing this?
    If so, how do I go about obtaining legal rights over the products that I build and develop?
    Do you guys think there is an ethical issue with me marketing a developed product to other companies?

Cool

Thats a tough one but i would say no you cant sell them. The company i work for shut down one of my ideas real quick reminding me of the paper i signed when i started there that "everything" in my head is owned by them 24/7 Boy i hope they don't want some of their thoughts back
    I even tried to sell a tool idea to a company who's parts we used and they sent me a nasty letter that pretty much ends if anything here is not clear to call them back. I still have a copy of it hanging in my shop. Just my .02...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I'd have to agree with Bob on this one.
    Especially since they're paying you for the prototype.
    But I'm a welder not a lawyer, with a project like that it might pay to get some legal advice before you worry too much about it.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Thanks for your replies, its been a concern for me as I started considering the opportunity this product is presenting. Especially since they are paying for the prototyping of the device.

However I just remembered a case in which the reverse happened to me. Where I designed a system of storage to attach on a piece of equipment. With my drawn plans (which i never charged for ) in their records and a initial product delivered to them, they proceeded to have their own 'fab shop' copy it for all their new units.

I was also asked once to bid against the designer of another piece of storage device in order to retrofit all the units located in my area, I was provided with the drawings of his design and a price to beat/match.

This is kind of telling me that they at least consider the very idea of anything built for them 'theirs'.

The thing is, I've never signed any contract with them stating anything about ownership rights for products or ideas conceaved via our relationship.

I'm almost tempted to draft up some sort of contract for this very reason, because I would rather they NOT own some of my ideas, especially the ones that I do not charge design time for.

There are other simpler ideas I've come up with that could possibly be used by others in any industry, a more efficient tire chain wrench for instance. Would you say that even a simple device such as a specialty wrench should be kept proprietary to the original requesting party even though all they provided me was a concept to work from?

Thanks again guys.

Before you decide either way have your attorney review your agreement.

Could you just talk with your client about your idea of marketing the product?

I've worked on design projects that I couldn't tell people what I was working on. Plant manager, master engineer, head designer and designer were the only ones who knew what the project was in the beginning. Even had 3M computer monitors that only allowed the screen to be seen from directly in front of it. I was told in no uncertain that if I told anyone I would be fired immediately.

I also had a design "stolen" from another company I worked for. Designed and fabbed a machine for them. To me it wasn't a nuclear rocket or anything but they were all oohs and ahhs. Few months later their central engineering brought in a machine almost identical that was fabbed by one of their "preferred vendors". They came in and reverse engineered the one I built.

Thing is, if they would have just asked I would have provided them all the drawings and material lists and saved them all the trouble. Pretty sure some engineer went to a big meeting and claimed all the design credit for himself. Even that I didn't care about since I'd been paid for the original design. Wasn't a big deal to me but they, for some reason, thought they had to do it back door.

Was it legal? Who knows. I avoid lawyers at all costs whenever possible. But most times you can keep the lawyers hungry if you just talk with somebody.

Al
    Miller Dialarc 250 HF
    Lincoln Classic 300D
    AutoCAD 2010...Paper Is Cheaper Than Metal
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Milwaukee & Hilti Power Tools
    John Deere Equipment
    Paints and Quarterhorses
    Billy Cook Roping Saddle
    Billy Cook Reining Saddle
    Our YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Thats a tough one but i would say no you cant sell them. The company i work for shut down one of my ideas real quick reminding me of the paper i signed when i started there that "everything" in my head is owned by them 24/7 Boy i hope they don't want some of their thoughts back
    I even tried to sell a tool idea to a company who's parts we used and they sent me a nasty letter that pretty much ends if anything here is not clear to call them back. I still have a copy of it hanging in my shop. Just my .02...Bob
    I haven't had a job that stopped the hiring process when I crossed that out and initialed it. My position was it was a deal breaker. We weren't going there.

As for the original question, the work was done at the request of another company and they're paying for the prototype work. They own it unless they give you a waiver to produce and market the product. If on the other hand they had presented a problem and then you had developed and produced a solution on your nickel then it's yours to market and produce.

Just my two cents.

Of course I'm a nut on intellectual property. I was just given a letter of allowance and have paid the fees for publishing and awarding a patent. I should have the patent in hand within a couple of months at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Freelance Fabber View Post
    Hey guys, Im curious what you guys think of this idea.

I'm considering the possibility of marketing some of my projects to other companies that I do business with.

For example I'm developing a mechanism to open, sort and stack certain chemical containers when they are mixing chemicals to service a gas well.
    All the design work, fabrication and testing is done by my shop however the company that this device is for is paying for the prototype costs.
    They have merely given me the concept of the device and the parameters with which they expect the device to operate in.

Is it legal for me to try to sell the finished product to other companies?
    Is there intellectual or other copyrights protecting the original client from me doing this?
    If so, how do I go about obtaining legal rights over the products that I build and develop?
    Do you guys think there is an ethical issue with me marketing a developed product to other companies?
    I don't know what your relationship is with your clients. But it sounds like you're a go to guy for them. Since it's a fifty fifty proposition, they provide problems and you provide solutions, then I believe you should approach them with a fifty fifty concept on manufacturing and marketing. You might find yourself a long term gold mine, mailbox money for a long time to come, and share the risk while you're at it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Especially wroughtn's perspective as a patent holder.

Well, I decided to deliver the 2 prototypes that I finished yesterday for final testing by the guys who will be using it. After playing around with the machine a bit, the first thing out of the manager's mouth was " you need to patent that"
    So we talked about that very thing, and as far as this manager was concerned I completely owned the idea of the machine and they were happy to simply have a working copy to save them the manual backache of doing the task by hand. I even mentioned selling this product to their direct competitors which he thought would be fine.

Today was an exciting day, I'm taking several detailed pictures of it tommorow and redoing my drawings on it to at least make it easier for me to reproduce it without much trouble.

How much does it cost to patent something harv? I think I might pursue that avenue if other companies show interest in this device.

Quote Originally Posted by Freelance Fabber View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Especially wroughtn's perspective as a patent holder.

Well, I decided to deliver the 2 prototypes that I finished yesterday for final testing by the guys who will be using it. After playing around with the machine a bit, the first thing out of the manager's mouth was " you need to patent that"
    So we talked about that very thing, and as far as this manager was concerned I completely owned the idea of the machine and they were happy to simply have a working copy to save them the manual backache of doing the task by hand. I even mentioned selling this product to their direct competitors which he thought would be fine.

Today was an exciting day, I'm taking several detailed pictures of it tommorow and redoing my drawings on it to at least make it easier for me to reproduce it without much trouble.

How much does it cost to patent something harv? I think I might pursue that avenue if other companies show interest in this device.
    It's expensive.

You can do it yourself if you're really sharp and have lots of time, especially internet savvy kind of time.

But the whole thing about a patent is it's license to litigate. That's because no one but the patent holder has the right to enforce the patent. The sheriff isn't interested and no one cares but the patent holder. So what the patent does is give the person holding the patent the right to take anyone that infringes upon that patent to court to enforce the patent. That's on your nickel, you pay for the attorney to sue and hopefully you will prevail and they will stop infringing upon your patent and pay you enough to make it worthwhile suing them to stop.

So first and foremost a patent is about lawyers. Get over it. Live with it and hopefully profit from it. Get a good intellectual law firm and give them money when they ask for it and hold on for the ride.

It's also a game sorry to say. The first thing the patent examiners do is say no. They say no for the stupidest of reasons and they do it often and oftener. Everytime they say no the tab goes up because you have to pay for an appeal and for your attorney to come up with and file the appeal.

A simple thing can get done with few problems for fifteen to twenty thousand dollars. Anything more complicated can go a lot more than that. And something to keep in mind is someone can have patented a machine that operates a lot like yours and does something completely unrelated. Their patent attorney can see your application and then you've got to pay them for infringing or stop producing, maybe both.

That's why the best thing you can do is to go to the official uspto (united states patent and trademark office) and do a search for your idea. It takes a little practice and you've got to put in a ton of different terms but you can do a basic patent search yourself. If you've asked the question everyway you think possible and nothings like your idea then you can take it to an intellectucal property attorney and let them go after it.

A couple of don'ts.

1. Don't try to do it yourself. That's because you're dealing with patent people who speak patentese. If you don't speak the lingo then you're not going to understand what's being said. The other thing is it's about suing. If you do it on your own you're putting up a billboard that says you can't afford a good defense of your patent if you got one. That tells an infringer that they can infringe with impunity because it's a war and you don't have an army.

2. The only thing worse than doing it yourself is falling for one of the inventor's help sites you see advertised in the newspapers and on the television. They're not in the business of helping inventors. They're in the business of profiting off of the dreams of inventors. And when that good idea comes across their plate the inventor ends up with the smallest piece of the pie he could ever get and still be the inventor.

3. It takes time. The one I just got the letter of allowance for was originally filled in 2006. The first objection from the patent office involved too many claims, we had twenty, they wanted two applications, ten claims each, twice the fees, make sense? So we divided it up between method and structure. That was 2008. We've been given the letter of allowance for structure and the questions and compromises look real good for for method this year, again, twice the fees.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...FIELD2=&d=PG01

This is a patent I got for a cart that's still produced. It was back in 1991 and I've never made a dime on it. A friend of mine makes and markets it.

Back then it took a couple of years and only cost about three thousand dollars. But I was so burnt over the process that I swore never again.

I've changed since then, older, and maybe not wiser.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...y+AND+IC/plano