Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beer keg bbq

when it cut it it sprung out of round os the part i cut out is two small for the hole it came out of!!! think about cutting the ends and let them fold in and over lap on each other and weld them back together the ends bow out or did before i cut it now there flat so its more egg shape then round
    miller 330 a/pb tig miller 175 mig
    student and hobbiest

Quote Originally Posted by tntemroper
    all i have seen are stainless and they make a nice little bbq grill. just whack the top into with the plasma attach hinges then cut the rest of the lid out attach some legs and some expanded metal for the grill and away you go
    i've got one of the old aluminum kegs i got when i was i high school about 35 yrs ago. been trying for 35yrs to figure out what to do with it. maybe i'll make a gas tank for a bar stool racer out of it. as big as it is i could make it a 4 seater 15gal.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Default My SS Beer Keg BBQ

Hi, I'm new to this board (joined today) and will start off with some photos of the SS Beer Keg BBQ I made a year ago. I hope itís not too much. I cut the keg in half with a Saws-All (not a fun job) but thatís what I had. It's mostly bolted together because I don't have the capability to weld SS. Here on the Oregon Coast a Non Stainless BBQ will only last about thee years with out rusting away, we really like this one.
    Mel

Thumbs up tack it

link, the best way that i have found is to tack the cut in a few places along the way. when i first started making bbq pits i ran into that problem. so when i get my rolled plate stock and i'm making the main chamber door all i do is start cutting and about 4 inches in, tack it, then cut through the middle and tack again and the about an inch from the edge i tack one more time then finish my cut, weld on the slip hinges and come back with an angle grinder and cut the tacks and you have a door.

Default laTCH?

[QUOTE=Lugnut]
    LUGNUT, I REALLY LIKE YOUR GRILL..iS THAT SOME KIND OF LATCH YOU MADE... tHANKS, fARRIS
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

Thumbs up

Try attaching all your framing before cutting in half, including your hinges. You'll find it will hardly spring at all! The more framing you have, the more strength you have.

Default For Fyoung

Not a special latch. It is a “stop” to keep the lid from folding back too far. As for warping out of shape------I would pick a keg that has as few dings and dents as possible. My keg wanted to warp a little and I ended up hammering out some of the dents from the inside after cutting it in half and it straitened out some. I just found a second keg to make a BBQ for my daughter. I'll post some photos when complete.
    Mel

Check out Big Drum Smoker.com . There is no cutting and the performance is supposed to be very good.