Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question plasma cut eye protetection

Hi guys, did anybody know certainly about what kind of eye protection is needed for Plasma Cut. Thanx

the manual that came with my Cutmaster 52 said to use a shade 8 filter.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Thumbs up

If you're going to cut a fair bit like that,Hypertherm makes a shield that is clear on the bottom and a #6 for the top half.This way,your whole face is protected from splash back,not just you eyes.And it makes it quick to go from cutting to grinding parts,no time waisted changing shields.You can also buy one that has #8 for the top.The $40 CDN i paid is cheap to protect all that prettyness
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 03-14-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

If I'm only doing a few cuts at a time i wear shade 5 safety glasses. If I need to cut a lot I have the Hypertherm Face sheild. It sounds like the shield described above. Mine has a shade 6 and i believe you can get it with a shade 8. A AD welding hood works well if you can adjust the shade low enough.
    mm251 w/ 30amp spool gun
    diversion 165
    mm140
    Hypertherm powermax 45

I use a Sellstrom full face shield it has a #8 flip up on the unit. If you need glasses to read or to see up close this is the way to go. I picked up mine on line from Sears#009-20685 just under $50 bucks to the door. ck out www.sellstrom.com for ther info.

Here is the link to another thread on the subject
    The hyperthrem and the Sellstrom unit are the same.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

I have a Selstrom helmet but I also use my Harbor Freight auto darkening lid turned all the way down. It's a little dark at 9, but more comfortable on longer jobs and I'm not switching back and forth between headgear.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

I just use the auto helmet. It a #3 shade when not activated, and a #8 at the lowest when activated. I try to keep my head positioned where the helmet doesn't get triggered. It's easier to see that way. The helmet protects from splatter well enough.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE