Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Welding AR 400 Plate

Does anyone have experience welding AR400 plate ?

I have a job comming next week, I'll be welding a 4'x 6' AR 400 plate inside of a Large vat for mixing types of soil & fertlizer

I haven't seen it yet , but from what they say it's quite a large Vat .

So any insight from anyone that's done this before would be great !
    It's being Rolled this week , to be installed next week .

.......... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Norm right from Lincoln.

AR400 is a quench and tempered steel and may be difficult to weld due its high strength and hardenability. The base steel around the weld rapidly heats and cools during welding, resulting in a heat affected zone (HAZ) with high hardness. Any hydrogen in the weld metal may diffuse into HAZ and may cause hydrogen embrittlement, resulting in delayed underbead or toe cracks outside of the weld. To minimize heat affected zone cracking:
    Use a low hydrogen consumable with an -H4 or -H2 designation.
    Preheat to slow the cooling rate. Note that excessive preheat may anneal the base material.
    Slow cool. More time at elevated temperatures allows the dissolved hydrogen to escape.
    Peen the weld beads to minimize residual weld stresses.
    Use the lowest strength filler metal meeting design requirements. If making fillet welds, the weld can be oversized to give the specified strength
    Minimize weld restraint.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Default AR 400 plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Norm right from Lincoln.

AR400 is a quench and tempered steel and may be difficult to weld due its high strength and hardenability. The base steel around the weld rapidly heats and cools during welding, resulting in a heat affected zone (HAZ) with high hardness. Any hydrogen in the weld metal may diffuse into HAZ and may cause hydrogen embrittlement, resulting in delayed underbead or toe cracks outside of the weld. To minimize heat affected zone cracking:
    Use a low hydrogen consumable with an -H4 or -H2 designation.
    Preheat to slow the cooling rate. Note that excessive preheat may anneal the base material.
    Slow cool. More time at elevated temperatures allows the dissolved hydrogen to escape.
    Peen the weld beads to minimize residual weld stresses.
    Use the lowest strength filler metal meeting design requirements. If making fillet welds, the weld can be oversized to give the specified strength
    Minimize weld restraint.
    Thanks Sonora;
    I was somewhat framiliar with what you stated above.
    So E- 7018- H4 would be the best rod to use, with mild pre-heat.

I'm not sure how I could slow the cool down time?
    Peening , Yes !
    It's a fairly large piece of plate- 4'x6' rolled , I'm not sure of it's thickness.
    Do you think I should back - step my way around the perimiter ?

.............. Norm

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

I back step everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe rent one of these for the post heat?

http://www.masterheaters.com/kero/
    Caution!

Default AR 400 plate .

Sonora, No I don't think I'll use one of those heaters !

It's a very confined space !
    I'll be inside a Vat welding a 4' x 6' plate , Hot and Smokey enough !!!!!!!!!!

............ Norm

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

I remember welding it down in conveyors, mild pre-heat and lo-hi. I dont think its a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Sonora, No I don't think I'll use one of those heaters !

It's a very confined space !
    I'll be inside a Vat welding a 4' x 6' plate , Hot and Smokey enough !!!!!!!!!!

............ Norm
    LOL!
    No I meant after you’re completely done. Aim the heather inside the vat, and let it cool with just this amount of heat.
    Caution!

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I remember welding it down in conveyors, mild pre-heat and lo-hi. I dont think its a big deal.
    That is all I ever done too. I was a little set back by how detailed Lincoln made it out to be. Guess I was lucky all those years!
    Caution!

Nabed this from the hobartwelders

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=19493
    Fab Tech

Question AR 400 Plate

Thanks, Fab Tech, Sonora & everyone else !!!!!!!!!

I do have one of those propane heaters, but the darn thing will lite but Not stay lit .

So I guess it will be E-7018- H4 or H2 , with mild pre- heat, back stepping around the perimeter, peening as I go !
    It's an inside job, so it should not cool too quickly, maybe cover it with a weld blanket .

............ Norm

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .