Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding positions

I know there is positions like 5G and F2 ect. That tells you the position and parent metal configurations. But my question is can it be welded with any kind of process?
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by welder_guy View Post
    I know there is positions like 5G and F2 ect. That tells you the position and parent metal configurations. But my question is can it be welded with any kind of process?
    The position designations you mention tell nothing about the parent metal.
    The position designations tell you,well, postions.

Griff

G = groove joint
    F = fillet joint
    R = with restricter plate (for pipe)

1 = plate flat, or pipe laying down and rolling
    2 = plate horizontal, or pipe standing up
    3 = plate vertical
    4 = plate overhead
    5 = pipe, but i forget the position, i think laying down not rolling?
    6 = pipe at an angle, no rolling

You can use just about any process in any position, except spray transfer mig, which is only useful in the flat and horizontal positions due to excessive puddle fluidity. Pulsed spray transfer mig can be used in all positions though, with the right settings.

Not all stick electrodes are suitable for all positions. E7024 is for flat/horizontal only. The 3rd digit designates the position. 1 = all position, 2 = limited position.
    Last edited by Desertrider33; 03-09-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

see: sperkoengineering.com/html/Position.ppt

(from http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/asme.htm)
    Last edited by envano; 03-25-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    G = groove joint
    F = fillet joint

3 = plate vertical
    4 = plate overhead

5G is a horizontal pipe, vertical weld, no roll.
    6G the angle is 45 degrees
    Last edited by DamageInc537; 03-09-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Welding positions, on your back, sitting down, underneath, up on ladder.

Default pulsed spray

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    G = groove joint
    F = fillet joint

3 = plate vertical
    4 = plate overhead

You can use just about any process in any position, except spray transfer mig, which is only useful in the flat and horizontal positions due to excessive puddle fluidity. Pulsed spray transfer mig can be used in all positions though, with the right settings.

Not all stick electrodes are suitable for all positions. E7024 is for flat/horizontal only. The 3rd digit designates the position. 1 = all position, 2 = limited position.
    This is a little off topic. I have a mm 350p but I have never used pulse mode. How would you compare out of position welding in pulse vs short circuit? Much of the welding I do is repair so it can be in any position and on any condition iron 16ga up through 1/2 inch or heavier. I am using straight co2 and .035 or .045 70s-6 wire. Guess what I am really trying to decide is should I go to the trouble of getting some 85/15 or 90/10 gas for pulse. Straight co2 or 75/25 are easily available but that's about it unless I special order it and drive quite a ways to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Welding positions, on your back, sitting down, underneath, up on ladder.
    you forgot in a mud and water filled trench
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Quote Originally Posted by roylowell View Post
    This is a little off topic. I have a mm 350p but I have never used pulse mode. How would you compare out of position welding in pulse vs short circuit? Much of the welding I do is repair so it can be in any position and on any condition iron 16ga up through 1/2 inch or heavier. I am using straight co2 and .035 or .045 70s-6 wire. Guess what I am really trying to decide is should I go to the trouble of getting some 85/15 or 90/10 gas for pulse. Straight co2 or 75/25 are easily available but that's about it unless I special order it and drive quite a ways to get it.
    So your sales people managed to sell you the best machine they could but managed to drop the ball when it came to being able to even use it??
    Please don't take this as if I am being mean spirited but why did you buy the 350P in the first place ?? Pulse is what it is all about. Otherwise you should have got the plain jane MM350.
    To put it in real world terms....sure you can do just fine with just straight mig and turn out great work. We have done that forever. GMAW-P is just something that seems to me to be a bit easier to get better results with as far as clean spatter free work goes. I am thinking I find filling gaps easier as well.
    It is sorta like having a Dynasty instead of a Syncrowave. More buzzers and bells but in the end it is really how good of a machine operator you are. But that said a good operator can get better results from a better machine.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    So your sales people managed to sell you the best machine they could but managed to drop the ball when it came to being able to even use it??
    Please don't take this as if I am being mean spirited but why did you buy the 350P in the first place ?? Pulse is what it is all about. Otherwise you should have got the plain jane MM350.
    To put it in real world terms....sure you can do just fine with just straight mig and turn out great work. We have done that forever. GMAW-P is just something that seems to me to be a bit easier to get better results with as far as clean spatter free work goes. I am thinking I find filling gaps easier as well.
    It is sorta like having a Dynasty instead of a Syncrowave. More buzzers and bells but in the end it is really how good of a machine operator you are. But that said a good operator can get better results from a better machine.
    I bought it on the internet. My son needed a welder so I gave him my mm250 and got a 350p because I wanted one. From what I've read it's supposed to be quit a welder. I've got an aluminum trailer so I'll probably get a push-pull gun and learn aluminum some day. I've read that spray transfer won't work out of position but I haven't found out much about pulse.