Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: More weld pics

Default More weld pics

Here is the rest of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Use your free hand as a guide for your torch hand so you can steady it and move the torch in a straight line. The bead in the last pic is closer to getting there.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    Use your free hand as a guide for your torch hand so you can steady it and move the torch in a straight line. The bead in the last pic is closer to getting there.
    Thats great advice. Thanks. Do most welders use 2 hands on the gun or just one hand. One experienced welder i spoke to said to hold the gun so someone could come along and knock it out of your hand. Thats how loose it should be??!!? What do you think. I also believe that getting in a comfortable position is a major thing and you have to see what to do as well. I found that sometimes my helmet was a bit dark... hard to see what i was doing.

Thanks alot for your help.

for tacking pieces together, one hand is fine. when running beads, use 2. To have a consistent bead, you want to keep a consistent tip to workpiece distance. When welding on a table, you want to be comfortable and not all twisted and contorted. In the field is a different story
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

Thumbs up Gettin' Better !

Sammy, I agree the last pic is a little Better.

You said you are having a hard time seeing the Weld bead, what do you have for a Welding Shield ?
    Fixed shade or an Auto Darkening ?
    I just saw from you're other thread it's Auto darkening. Princess Auto as Well ?

............. Norm
    Last edited by nfinch86; 02-11-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Thats great advice. Thanks. Do most welders use 2 hands on the gun or just one hand. One experienced welder i spoke to said to hold the gun so someone could come along and knock it out of your hand. Thats how loose it should be??!!? What do you think. I also believe that getting in a comfortable position is a major thing and you have to see what to do as well. I found that sometimes my helmet was a bit dark... hard to see what i was doing.

Thanks alot for your help.
    I use 2 hands on the torch whenever possible and I don't give it the death grip, but don't let it wiggle around either.

Yes, being comfortable is quite helpful. Use your body, other hand or arm, shoulder, etc to rest against something solid to help steady the torch hand.

An adjustable shade auto hood is helpful if you often weld in different light conditions and with different processes and material thicknesses.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Default A little advice from me.

Use 2 hands un till you think your redy to use one ahnd if that means you never use 1 hand so be it as long as you can do it.

When I was learing I was told to watch the outter edges of the pool because thats how wide your beed will be slow down or speed up as needed.

MOST IMPORTANT PRATICE MAKES PERFECT! You may try goign by you local comunity college if the teach weldign and pick up a work book. It will tell you what work angle and what push or drgag angle you need and where your wird amps and volts shoudl be set.

Hey Sammy,
    theres signs of life in that last picture. Dont fear the fire, slow down a little, stop freaking out. Only hold the torch as tight as you feel you need to keep control, you will learn to loosen up over time , it will come naturally.
    You might consider practicing with your pieces at 90degrees to each other, its easier to see both sides of the puddle and to follow a straight line.
    When you get ready to start a new bead and are positioning your hands, set them for where you want to end and then move them backwards to the start. As time goes on you will automaticly set your hands in this position when you start and will be able to reposition on the fly.
    Keep after it, you're doing fine.
    Miller 251
    Miller Trailblazer 280nt
    Miller Maxstar 200dx
    Lincoln Squarewave 185
    Acme 20kva spotwelder
    Hobart buzzbox
    Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter