Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    TurboDSM
    I think what you may be looking for is a tannic acid type conversion coating like por15 and many others... one that converts the brown rust to an inactive BLACK magnetite... and seals the surface with a water based latex primer..that you can paint over with enamel once set up.. and dried.. here is a link to one of those products... there are a zillion of them with about the same recipe..

http://www.corroseal.com/technical/productdata.aspx

the tractor collector community swears by that class of stuff and it works..
    hope this helps
    Heiti
    So a self etching primer?

Now I can't decide what to do...lol

This thing doesn't need to be perfect. Etching primer sounds a bit more simple with less room for error than phosphoric acid/primer process. I suppose it might depend on how much rust I'm able to physically remove before hand.

TurboDSM
    these conversion coatings are a one step deal converter/primer... one of the easiest to get is Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer.... most hardware stores carry it...

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=30&SBL=1

you may find this a painless solution
    thanks
    Heiti

Making progress. Still a lot of work to do with a wire wheel.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    TurboDSM
    these conversion coatings are a one step deal converter/primer... one of the easiest to get is Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer.... most hardware stores carry it...

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=30&SBL=1

you may find this a painless solution
    thanks
    Heiti
    Good ol' Rust-Oleum...lol Reminds me of something I'd pickup at wally world when I was 12.

Seriously, is it worth using or am I going to be redoing it in a few years, even with a good solid topcoat?

Thanks again Heiti

TurboDSM
    if you live in winter/salt country you will redo it every few years regardless.. You have gotten it very clean... in your situation I would go with the rust reformer.. give it 24hours in a warm dry place to set and dry then brush 2 good coats of rustoleum black on it.. (or purple or red or... your decision)
    then you are good to go...
    thanks
    Heiti

Got it done. The wire wheel did OK but I ended up using a flap disk on the heavy rust spots.

One coat of the Rust Reformer. Just a light coat of sandable primer (I like to do a light sanding before paint) and 3 coats of paint.

Attached Images Attached Images