Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rust scale removal methods before paint?

I picked up a used receiver hitch that has areas of rust scale underneath peeling paint. I want to clean it up so it looks decent and prevents rust from developing further.

What would be a good method to remove the rust so I can repaint it? Wire wheel on an angle grinder? Flap disk? Something else?

I don't have access to a media blaster, nor is the piece valuable enough to pay someone to do this.

After removing the rust manually, is there a chemical worth putting on it to take care of any rust I missed and help prevent rust in the future; something that is OK to primer and paint over?

Any recommended brands or type of rattle can primer/paint to use on the receiver hitch?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, my searches didn't pull up what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Well, once you have it down to bare metal. Use Self-Etching Primer. It is made to go on bare surfaces and provide excellent Adhesion. I prefer the brand SEM. But I'm sure some others will do the job fine as well. As far as chemicals to help prevent rust and kill it, There are some out there.

have any pictures of the thing?

Thanks for the info myistar. I hadn't really thought about the type of primer, so that is really good to know.

I'll try to get a pic up in the next day or so. And I'll try to do an after shot when I'm done.

If you have an automotive machine shop in the 'hood, ask them to drop it in the hot tank for a day. It'll come out nice and clean, and you can use a self-etching primer for good measure.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Epoxy primers are about the best. Some dont even need all the rust cleaned, about a 220 etch, seals minor rust right in.

SandBlaster then etch prime the gray primer then 2 coats of paint.

Pics!

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Speed Blaster

They make a small hand held sand blaster called the speed blaster it holds about a quart of sand it would be perfect for that.You will need an air compressor the small unit costs about $30.00 and works very well it is perfect for cleaning small parts like that.You can find one at Autobodystore.com or any auto body suppliers.Ive had one for about 3 years still works great.Mike

Be sure you get all that stinking powdercoat off. I hate powdercoat due to frequency of its misuse.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

you can use a wire cup on your grinder to get the bulk of the rust off then go to your local auto paint store and buy a product called "Rustmort". brush or spray it on with a spray bottle and let it dry. it turn any rust to a black oxide primer. anywhere it contacts no rust will stay wet. just hose that off with water, dry it off good then use any primer and paint. i've used this on a lot of farm equipment and as long the paint stays intact with no bare metal you won't have any reoccurring rust.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d