Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Question how are welders classed in the USA

Hi all
    I'm just wondering how welders are classed in the US
    here in Australia we have 4 main classes

welder 1st class = going to tech collage to learn full trade qualifications and skills
    welder 2nd class = no tech collage
    welder bodybuilder=same as 1st class but more body building than welding
    boilermaker=same as 1st class with alot more marking out and boiler skill's
    but here Australia most welders and boilmakers are in the class I have worked under both classes

I'm a welder 1st class and bodybuilder I work in the transport repair game have done for nearly 20 yrs been welding for 27 years
    I do truck and trailer smash repairs (big rigs) in steel and aluminum and stainless
    with MIG TIG and Stick ,pessure welding ,pipe work,chassis repairs and mod's I have also done a few years of Structural Steelwork that had to be xrayed before being sent to site
    only reason I'm asking reading things on here there seems to so many different classes of welders there in the states

if i had to pick what I worked with all day long aluminum would win over steel all the time aluminum gives you only one chance to get it right 99 per cent of the time and i find it more rewarding building something out of aluminum a smashed up steel trailer anyone can fix but a aluminum trailer smashed up is a different game

Unless the unions here have some kind of labels like that, I think mostly it's just a self-description of your main skills.

Fabricators, Pipe weldors, boilermakers, structural are some of the labels I've seen, but I don't know how technical they are. This would be a good question for the "Ask Andy" forum at www.millermotorsports.com . There are more pros over there than have come over here so far.

I think in the States, it's mostly weldors who know it, and weldors who are full of it.

Aside: You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to describe the concept of a union to the folks where I've been for the last 6 months in Colombia.

Welder clasifications here in the states, are similar to that in Australia. Welding profesionals here, test to a specific AWS (American Welding Society)code. When they pass, they are certified to weld on that same type of joint, in similar and easier positions, and in a specific thickness range. For the most part the certification stays current as long as you continue to weld those type of joints. Some company policies require welders to re-certify every day, due to the safety and quality required.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Kirk
    Welder clasifications here in the states, are similar to that in Australia. Welding profesionals here, test to a specific AWS (American Welding Society)code. When they pass, they are certified to weld on that same type of joint, in similar and easier positions, and in a specific thickness range. For the most part the certification stays current as long as you continue to weld those type of joints. Some company policies require welders to re-certify every day, due to the safety and quality required.

Kirk
    Hi Kirk
    from what you say in this post its a bit different to what we do here in oz
    to get our qualifications as a welder /boilermaker/welder bodybuilder we have to do a aprenticeship which last 4 years 3 of them are at tech collage 1-2 days a week the rest is learning in the workshop
    at tech we learn to weld from 1.6mm approx 1/16 to 25mm approx 1" in all positions and we learn all types of welding there is
    once you have finished your aprenticeship your free to what ever your skills will let you .
    in 27 yrs I have only been ask to see my trade papers twice when going for a Job this mainly because we have a short supply of metal trade workers in Australia .
    and most people when you apply for a job as welder over here the boss knows by smoko if your any good .

I only speak for myself here in my line of work what I do peoples lives depend on my work so i do my welding to a standard that I would trust my familys and my life with because if I don't trust my welding no can .

I take a lot of pride in welding and give my repect to my peers that deserve it
    but i have not let my sons aged 26 and 18 follow me in to this trade because here in Australia welders no matter how good you are you get every little repect because every tom **** and harry thing they can weld

here we have a saying
    the difference between a welder and a good welder is a grinder
    a welder needs the grinder to fix his welds
    a good welder doesn't

any typos or misspelling the beer made me do it
    Last edited by wello; 10-01-2005 at 06:23 AM.