Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HH and MM

Default HH and MM

I'm relatively new to welding and to this site. There is a lot of writing on this site about hh vs mm. Since they are the same company, what is the essential difference between the two that makes one "better" than the other if comparing the same size machine? Is it personal preference, price, or does one in fact do a better job?

In a nutshell, Hobarts are more for hobbyist/home use and Miller is more for industrial/commercial use.

Miller also has a much larger selection of equipment.

Also, saying a Hobart is the same as a Miller is like saying a Chevy Cavalier is just as good as a Cadillac. (same parent company - very different products)

very well put, ts. one is a comercial quality and one is homeowner quality
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

That is untill you start talking about portable migs...right now the HH210 is ruling the planet.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    That is untill you start talking about portable migs...right now the HH210 is ruling the planet.
    Huh??

It's rated at only 15 more amps than the MM180

The HH210 is all plastic and missing several features of the MM180
    Last edited by TS-Off-Road; 11-11-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Default mm and hh

Thanks. That's very valuable information guys.
    I'm really starting to feel that the MM180 just may be the right machine to get me started, even though of course I would want more and bigger just for that unknown eventuality when I might need more and bigger. But do I now?

I have a half ton truck that has been absolutely great for me since '02. Now I'm pulling a 50HP tractor and my truck doesn't like it's new job. That half ton has been completely satisfying and did everything I asked it to until now, and from '02 until now a one ton would have contained a lot of unused truck at a significant initial cost - if that makes any sense. Now all of a sudden the application dictates that I use a stronger truck.

I'm going to use that same (and true) analogy for my first welding machine purchase. Let me get what my budget permits and something that will also satisfy my known needs. Once (and if ever) it doesn't like its new job, I'll just have to buy it a big brother (or sister).

This is a terrific message board.

Tonyrico,

Understand where you're coming from regarding the right machine for what you need "now".

I'd suggest that you go to the Hobart board and review posting on the HH187 and HH210. One of the most knowledgeable Migger's there, DAN, has used both the HH187 and MM180 (owns a HH187). Think the concensus is that the HH187 is a better performing mig than the MM180. The HH210 is a new machine, but uses the same design as the HH187, and has been received very well. It is also spoolgun ready without additional controllers. They're going for about $850 via the internet (Cyberweld.com).

I have a HH187, as well as a Miller 251, and, within it's range, it welds better than the Miller.

The comment about the Hobart being "all plastic" is pure BS and must come from a poster who's never physically touched a HH187. Hobart (who's parent company is the same as Miller) is great in the customer service dept.

Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
    Huh??

It's rated at only 15 more amps than the MM180

The HH210 is all plastic and missing several features of the MM180
    I get 30A more out of the HH210 with my math. But I don't own a MM180. I have owned a MM175 and currently own a HH210.

But back on question, the smaller units are very similar, except for tapped v. continuously adjustable voltages, which on current models are not a problem. The 210 and 250A units have a big edge with the Millers in features.

MAC702,

I was referring to the rated output, which may or may not matter, depending on how it is used.

HH210 150A @ 30%
    MM180 135A @ 30%

You mentioned a couple of the other differences.

SundownIII,

I won't resort to calling your post "BS", as you are entitled to your opinion, as everyone is.

I looked at the Hobarts and didn't care for the "rugged plastic" as they call it, in place of some of the metal parts on the Miller.

Well, I don't know what to tell ya...my HH210 has been in an industrial enviroment for over a year now and is holding up just fine. I am quite sure it will kick the crap out of a MM180 on aluminum......quite sure.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC