Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Engine Lift.....

Hey guys,
    My brother builds race engines & last weekend had a bit of a mishap with an engine lift breaking removing a GM 454 engine. He borrowed this one in the pic that was the same as his to bring me to make a template for a much heavier one. This one is made from 3/16" & interrupted welds on both sides. He asked me to make (2) & just have only one hole since he never needed or used the other additional holes & he wanted them welded all the way around. I found a piece of 5/16" plate & plasma cut the plates after making a 1/8" template for the hole pattern(GM engines) & making further units. Here's some pics.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice!

I have always been leary of those carb plate mounts for lifting!

Seeing that moroso one makes me happier I have one of those adjusting attachments for the lift!

Looks like a decent piece, but I would never lift from an aluminum intake...Seen far too many stripped out bolts and dropped engines to even think about it.

When I go to move an engine, I still bust out the handy dandy welded chain, and 3/8ths bolts.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Here is mine. Bolts to the heads. Also allows to pull engine out of the boat without taking anything apart. Saved me last week too when it rolled over on the stand and the cradle acted as a roll bar.
    T.J.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Here is mine. Bolts to the heads. Also allows to pull engine out of the boat without taking anything apart. Saved me last week too when it rolled over on the stand and the cradle acted as a roll bar.
    T.J.

that works

Hey TJ,
    Yeah, that one would definitely need some TLC. My bro' also has a similar lift assembly that bolts to the heads. He likes the smaller one for smaller blocks & to use on cast manifolds & never uses it on alum. manifolds.

BTW...what is that jewel going in?

Denny