Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Enclosed concession trailer design ideas

I am considering whether to build a concession trailer out of steel. Here is a commercial example.

http://www.supremeproducts.com/specs16.html

I would make it a frame of steel members and the side panels and roof would also be steel.

Are there any suggestions for a design?

The probable size would be about 8' wide (probably 8' 4'') and about 16 feet long (exclusive of the tongue and hitch) and the box (exclusive of the suspension members) would be about 8' high.

My thinking would be to build a frame for the side panels and roof and weld the plates onto the frame members. I am thinking to space the frame members somewhere between 2' and 4' apart. I am thinking of using either 14 gauge or 16 gauge steel for the plating. I am thinking I would have both outside panels and inside panels, both for the walls and the roof. I am thinking that the frame for the walls and the roof would be 2" square tubing of 14 gauge. What would be most appropriate? I would like it to be somewhat beefy, but I am a bit worried about it being too heavy.

My rough calculations are telling me that the basic box is likely to be well over 3000 pounds.

The base would be made of square tubing. Would 2" 14 gauge square tubing be sturdy enough?

I am thinking that it would probably require tandem axles.

Please give me any good ideas for design and construction that you have.

Thanks.

P.S. Suggestions such as "don't build your own trailer" are also valid.

P.S. Suggestions such as "don't build your own trailer" are also valid.
    I have seen them for sale at prices that couldn't be beat, let alone the work. I wouldn't even consider building one. Spend your time shopping.

Smile I have . .

I have owned several concession trailers . . .

You have to ask yourself some basic questions first.

What will you be doing in it? Baking, frying, grilling, etc . . .?

Have you designed the interior layout?

You may want to consider a removable tongue.

I could go on, but lets get some basic info first . . .

As for "cheap" concession trailers, those are just cargo trailers with a sink.

Check these out . . . real "CARNIE" food joints . . .

http://www.waymatic.com/default1.htm
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

wacko them trailers are fricken awesome ive seen a many of shops with less class

I think you would be ahead just to buy one all set up but thats just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    I think you would be ahead just to buy one all set up but thats just my thoughts

I got a quote from one concession trailer maker in California for one that is all set up, and it came out to about $40k, which is more than I can afford to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacko Welder View Post
    I have owned several concession trailers . . .

What will you be doing in it? Baking, frying, grilling, etc . . .?

Have you designed the interior layout?

You may want to consider a removable tongue.

http://www.waymatic.com/default1.htm
    My main product offering would be frozen custard (the real stuff, not soft serve). I already have the machine.

I would also consider the possibility of including a griddle and/or fryer to allow for a secondary line of of product, but it may be better to keep it simple, in which case it would just be frozen custard.

Using a CAD program I have been sketching out some trailer layout ideas off and on for the last few months, but haven't settled on a definitive layout yet.

I found a project on this web site that is vaguely similar to what I had in mind.

Here are a couple of links to the project.

http://www.millerwelds.com/interests...ct/2423140061/

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ead.php?t=2435

However, mine would need to be bigger. I would also do welded plating (probably 14 gauge) for the outside and inside surfaces. (It looks like he screwed panels on rather than welding them.)

I'm sure it would be a lot of work.

I am attaching a sketch of the concept for the floorplan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just one request from a future customer, make the awnings 7' high minimum. Curbs are about 6". When you pull up on the curb with a 6.5' awning, anyone over 6' needs to duck to order etc.

From someone that used to work in kitchen - the ultimate goal is a floor that you can pretty much hose out when it gets too dirty.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick