Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question SKEGS, weld on replacement unit.

Does anyone have a good source for weld on SKEGS? For years I've been betting them from the propeller shops locally, but I'm having trouble finding certain style/types. In particular the newer Mercury lower units that fit the Verado engines.

Some of the recent ones I've gotten from an outfit called Rundquist propeller are ROUGH. You have to do a lot of grinding/sanding to finish them before painting.

I need to find better, more consistent and reliable source(s).
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Default Skegs

Capt: Check with Fusionking, he does marine work at Lake of the Ozarks.

Sundown III also does a lot of marine work, too.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 03-03-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

check with merc when there lower units dont
    pass qc they cut off the skeg to sell
    ship shape tv did a show on skegs
    theres a place here in melbourne fl
    the boat house they sell them
    not shure if they ship

Smile Skegs

Yeah SundownIII has already been contacted by PM for his input.

Just thought I'd Ping the rest of the group to see if they had further suggestions. Will check the Melbourne connection. It's close. Thanks
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

[QUOTE=captkipp;227681]Yeah SundownIII has already been contacted by PM for his input.

Just thought I'd Ping the rest of the group to see if they had further suggestions. Will check the Melbourne connection. It's close. Thanks[/QUOT

Shoot me an email and ill see if I can get you connected on the factory side.
    aaron_novak@mercmarine.com
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Default weld on skegs

go to any marine store and they should beable to order from merc. I get them from my parts guys here at the marina all the time. I use merc weld on skegs on all my repairs. do not think volvo sells them.diverdown
    2001 Dodge Ram welding truck. Hobart champion 10.000, miller Diversion 165. miller 180 autoset with spoolgun. SIP plasma cutter. Airless plastic welder.1996 28 foot bayliner for hauling dive and welding equipment

what do you guys charge to replace one

Default Skeg repair

I charge anywhere from $150 t0 $200. depends on the amount of damage. that includes the cost of the weld on skeg. diverdown
    2001 Dodge Ram welding truck. Hobart champion 10.000, miller Diversion 165. miller 180 autoset with spoolgun. SIP plasma cutter. Airless plastic welder.1996 28 foot bayliner for hauling dive and welding equipment

ok im lost I have no clue what SKEGS are sorry I cant help

Default "Skegs 101"

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    ok im lost I have no clue what SKEGS are sorry I cant help
    It's the fin rudder on an outboard or stern drive.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"