Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 5" sch 160 6g pipe test

GTAW root & hot pass.. 2 3/32 7018 stringers over the hot pass then 1/8 7018 filler. Any help on the GTAW root amperage would be helpful I'm used to welding sch 80 5" @ about 110amps , never done any sch 160.. My friend took the test this morning and his pipe broke in 3 places...

Far as the root is concerned, do you really think it makes a whole lot of difference?

5-inch sch 80 on the left, 5-inch sch 160 on the right, both with 37 1/2 bevel.

Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

no but my friends pipe busted in each place they tested it so i need to know like the amperage for the stick part i run my root in about 110

I dont give a lot of thought to the thickness of the material, I do with the thinness! I know where I like to run each size rod. I wont crank it up beyond the factory specifications just because the material is thick, Ill change rod size, or joint prep.

Click on the depositions tab.
    http://products.esabna.com/can/EN/ho...arc_7018_e7018
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Default amperage answer

Quote Originally Posted by justinT View Post
    no but my friends pipe busted in each place they tested it so i need to know like the amperage for the stick part i run my root in about 110
    I weld alot of 2 inch sch 160 and xxs (double extra heavy) and i use 3/32 excaliber at approx. 92 amps even in the 6g position, just grind all your stops and and keep an extremely short arc length, and run alternating stringer beads top and bottom of your groove, try a slow 85 amp uphill root if using 1/8 inch 5p 6010 rod, uphill will avoid incomplete fusion on the inside root bead.

Quote Originally Posted by fusionwelder View Post
    I weld alot of 2 inch sch 160 and xxs (double extra heavy) and i use 3/32 excaliber at approx. 92 amps even in the 6g position, just grind all your stops and and keep an extremely short arc length, and run alternating stringer beads top and bottom of your groove, try a slow 85 amp uphill root if using 1/8 inch 5p 6010 rod, uphill will avoid incomplete fusion on the inside root bead.
    I run my Jetweld LH 70 3/32" E7018 @ 95 amps on my 2 " XXS coupons
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Your root should be ran at about the same amps maybe 5 hotter.

You can run your hot pass alot (10-20amps) hotter, because you have a lot more wall to soak up the heat.

Stick rod should be about the same as usual. The last 2'' of your 3/32 7018 should be red.

Run your 1/8 inch about the same to a little hotter, Ounce your coupon gets heated up you'll want to turn down the amps a little. I'd get a drink/take a break, and turn it down before you cap. Hot coupons will undercut really easy on your cap.

If your buddy and everyone elses are breaking the QC should check the material grade of the pipe.

Are you working for Zachary? Side-bend?
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch