Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: welding shop

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Tyler,

Lots (most) high end welders are 220V single phase compliant, though they do run better on 480V 3-phase due to the decreased amperage draw. This shouldn't be an issue for you in your aplication, I've ran a Invertec V350 Pro at 450amps while Air Arc-ing on 220V single phase plug in, so you'll be just fine. As a suggestion, when you wire in your NEMA 6 plug, make sure to put in a 50 amp circuit breaker.

Now, before recommending a machine, could you elaborate on your projected application & usage in the immediate future. There is no point in recommending a welder that will not meet your needs. Also plan a little for the future so you are purchasing a machine with some room to grow.

Do you want strictly a wire feed welder?
    Multi process welder?
    What welding processes are most important to you?
    well to start off with thanks for the advice about the breaker. Mig and tig are most important to me but i would like to have the ablity to stick if the need ever arises. The application and usage will be for work around the house, reapair of mower deck, shovels, metal shelving, maybe some automotive work, since i plan on restoring a camero one day, and light fab work, i wont be doing any heavy industrial welding with it, but i do plan on owning my own welding business one day so i would liek the machine to have a little room to grow as far as duty cycle, and reliability. or you know say i run into someone that has a tractor or something along those lines theres alot of farmers here where i live so if i run into someone that needs a bucket worked one or something i can do it. i see my self doing light duty tig work at the house just to keep up my skills. and i would like the abilty to do al too.

plus if you can give me a suggestion on a plasma rig id appreciate it too.

any help or ideas that you have i appreciate it

anyone got some advice? And by the way i would like to thank miller electric they are sending me a free calander for being a member of the forums

I have a Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51. Great machine, I bought it to primarily cut 3/16 stainless, but I have cut 1/2" steel it is pretty good.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

oh cool but any suggestions on a good welding machine would help. I was considering a shop mate, with a portable cart for portability around the house or something like a millermatic series.

Arrow

Migman-

While I didn't read all of the posts in this thread I did read and scan a majority of them. First a tiny bit about me then on to you:

I am a hobby welder that makes money doing what I do. I only started welding 4 or 5 years ago with any frequency and things just sort of rolled from there. Typically I do gates/fences, custom stands, mixed media (e.g. wood and steel entertainment centers and tables) and the like. In the 'real world' I am the VP of a medium-sized general contracting firm in Dallas so I know a thing or two about this and that.

Now to you. A few suggestions and observations (my apologies if these have been stated or are approaching the 'beating a dead horse' phase). In no real order (my mind is jumping today):

1. Your passion should be infectious. Live it, know it, love it. Be consumed.

2. Apparently your Dad has some sage advice. Listen.

3. Make a business plan for yourself and your friend/potential business partner.

4. Decide NOW if your friendship or business is more important. Most friends that enter in to business together don't remain so for too long.

5. With respect to your business plan - now go "sell it" to someone (your Dad, school instructor, banker, etc. You can actually go see a banker for dry-runs on this... sometimes you can find a good one out there). Are you believable? Bankable? Would you loan you money? Would I? If/when you 'make it' you WILL need a line of credit.

6. Keep your business plan refined. Things change. Be fluid. Have the "what if..." scenarios answered.

7. Buy quality on the equipment. Consumables are one thing (e.g. gloves, clothing and such) but you need good equipment. THAT'S where you make your money.

8. Find a good accountant.

9. Incorporate. Maybe an LLC? LP? Ask your accountant (see number 8) which is the BEST for you tax wise.

10. Amortize your equipment (see #8).

11. Start building a portfolio ASAP. Get GOOD digital photos of your work. Nothing is worse that great work and shoddy photos.

12. Reserve a web site for your future business. Go Daddy.com and others are cheap and easy.

13. Buy SMART. Personally I buy a HUGE majority of my equipment on-line (Indiana Oxygen is one of my favorites... stellar pricing and free shipping... oh and no tax.. ).

14. Never work for free.

15. Sometimes you may have to work for free (then disregard #14). For the right people or to open the right doors you may have to do this. Remember once free - it is VERY tough to raise your prices with the same people.

16. Revisit your business plan. How are we doing?

17. Get the word out. Why should I use you vs. the other guy? Be marketable.

18. Do not EVER miss payments or go delinquent on taxes, loans and such. Once late it is VERY tough to catch-up.

19. Reinvest. For every $10K you make - the company needs to make $7.5K. Don't go buy a boat/car/jet ski/gold teeth (or whatever) when you get your first big pay day. It is VERY tempting but you need to build a net. Trust me on this one. Let your 'other' friends do this. You'll be the fat and happy one when things turn. THEY will be looking to YOU then.. trying to sell or get out from under their overbought toys.

20. Depending on the type of work you plan on doing - find a good lawyer. Yeah I know... oxymoron. BUT having one that understands what you do, etc. can save your a$$(ets) .

21. Always have a Plan "B". Sometimes a "C" too.

22. Do not get discouraged and do NOT listed to those who say CAN'T at every bend in the road. CAN'T never COULD.

That's all for now. I need to go make some money today.

Hope this helps a little.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 01-04-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    --Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    well to start off with thanks for the advice about the breaker. Mig and tig are most important to me but i would like to have the ablity to stick if the need ever arises. The application and usage will be for work around the house, reapair of mower deck, shovels, metal shelving, maybe some automotive work, since i plan on restoring a camero one day, and light fab work, i wont be doing any heavy industrial welding with it, but i do plan on owning my own welding business one day so i would liek the machine to have a little room to grow as far as duty cycle, and reliability. or you know say i run into someone that has a tractor or something along those lines theres alot of farmers here where i live so if i run into someone that needs a bucket worked one or something i can do it. i see my self doing light duty tig work at the house just to keep up my skills. and i would like the abilty to do al too.

plus if you can give me a suggestion on a plasma rig id appreciate it too.

Migman, reading the above you kind of have the same interests and welding plans as I do minus the part where you'd like to own your own welding business. I had the same questions and using this forum, the welding supply store workers advice and my own internet research, I ended up getting the Millermatic 180 with the auto set. A great quality machine for the home welder I'm sure you wouldn't be disapointed with. Your limits with it however are in the 1/4 inch area but it's completely ready to accept the new spoll gun for aluminum welding for under $200. The welder itself is going for under $1000, something that was selling for $1500 about 2 years ago.

Hope this helps,
    Good luck

JCB

migman,
    by "plasma rig" I thought you meant a cutter.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    migman,
    by "plasma rig" I thought you meant a cutter.
    i did i meant plasma cutter and a welding machine

Just curious why you guys are telling him to wire a NEMA-6 to a 50A circuit? The highest a NEMA-6 goes is 30A, right? He should be using a NEMA-14 which is rated at 50A or 60A. I'm not an electrician, just looking around in a prof. wired shop, I don't see any NEMA-6 running to any welders. And they are rated for a reason. JMHO