Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: welding shop

Equipment

The simplest Welding-shop equipment that permits you to perform your work is probably all that you need for getting started. For work on low carbon steel an example would be a simple AC transformer welding power supply. Keep in mind that used and reconditioned equipment may be available at substantial savings.

Fancy looking machines with all sort of additional capabilities may be strongly promoted by suppliers, but the question is if they are going to help your business become more productive and successful. New equipment should be first rented or leased for a short while, to decide if it actually provides benefits.

Besides electric welding equipment, an oxyacetylene welding kit mounted on a hand cart holding two gas cylinders is almost a must for any Welding-shop and maintenance facility. An air compressor may be needed to power pneumatic tools.

Apart from welders you will need accessories, like disc cutters, grinders, welding table with a sturdy vise, files, hammers to remove slag etc. and of course personal protection devices like welding mask, goggles, gloves, apron and so on. See

Quote Originally Posted by migman
    if anyone has any ideas on what kind of hand tools i need to start off with please share your advice
    Sorry....haven't been following the thread lately.

Aside from the personal protective equipment, and the already mentioned chipping hammer etc... I always keep 2 - 5" grinders close at hand. One with a grinding disk, one with a wire wheel. I also have a 50' extension cord and a short 1 into 3 adapter so all grinders are ready to go.

Standard vice grips, C-clamp vise grips, 24" Bessey clamps etc etc. Flint striker, and torch tip cleaner. Air blow gun to remove shavings & blow out welding machines.....Maintenance is important. Depending on your application, a small wrench & socket set are a good investment, plus they are neccessary when it comes time to repair or maintain your welding equipment. Crescent wrench. Slip joint pliers. I also have several air die grinders handy for weld prep and also to remove spatter from nozzles.

Always have a good steel hand brush closeby...keep it with your chipping hammer. Keep track of your grinder wrench...You should not have to use it on a day to day basis, but from time to time, you will jam the locknut when cutting wth a zip disk, or you will break out the center and have no leverage.

I keep a mig welder multi-tool and a pair of side cutters in the pockets on my right leg. If I am leaving the welding bay, my grinder wrench goes there too. I keep a triple flint striker in my left leg pocket, and that is also where I carry a few stick electrodes while I am welding. I also carry a utility knife in my back pocket at all times, as well as soapstone, Sharpies, and a small screwdriver in the bib pockets. Just a very basic "kit" that I always carry with me....You'd be surprised at the amount of small repairs that you can make to a welder with this small collection of tools.

Yeah....It's a long post, but you asked.

Default Quickly

After 33 years,It never stops!!!!!!!!!Think that covers all bases!!!!!!Good Luck,Jack

Default i have

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Sorry....haven't been following the thread lately.

Aside from the personal protective equipment, and the already mentioned chipping hammer etc... I always keep 2 - 5" grinders close at hand. One with a grinding disk, one with a wire wheel. I also have a 50' extension cord and a short 1 into 3 adapter so all grinders are ready to go.

Standard vice grips, C-clamp vise grips, 24" Bessey clamps etc etc. Flint striker, and torch tip cleaner. Air blow gun to remove shavings & blow out welding machines.....Maintenance is important. Depending on your application, a small wrench & socket set are a good investment, plus they are neccessary when it comes time to repair or maintain your welding equipment. Crescent wrench. Slip joint pliers. I also have several air die grinders handy for weld prep and also to remove spatter from nozzles.

Always have a good steel hand brush closeby...keep it with your chipping hammer. Keep track of your grinder wrench...You should not have to use it on a day to day basis, but from time to time, you will jam the locknut when cutting wth a zip disk, or you will break out the center and have no leverage.

I keep a mig welder multi-tool and a pair of side cutters in the pockets on my right leg. If I am leaving the welding bay, my grinder wrench goes there too. I keep a triple flint striker in my left leg pocket, and that is also where I carry a few stick electrodes while I am welding. I also carry a utility knife in my back pocket at all times, as well as soapstone, Sharpies, and a small screwdriver in the bib pockets. Just a very basic "kit" that I always carry with me....You'd be surprised at the amount of small repairs that you can make to a welder with this small collection of tools.

Yeah....It's a long post, but you asked.
    I built 4 of these,on in each corner of the shop,!!!!Sure is handy,I try!to buy all the same 4.5 same make grinders,,this way that wrench,theres allways one aroung,hanging up!!!!!Just my 2 cents,Jack,,The jet descallers are a must,in my book, use alot of air,,but,put the weld on right,and half the time the Jet,peels right off,And it goes On!!!!!!!!!and On!!!!!,But wouldnt trade it for the world,,And dont forget to keep up with technology,the guy down the road will,and that couls win you that big job or loose it,,But again more $$$$$$$$But I guess like in any buisness,you have to spend it to make it,,!!!!!!!!Just keep your chin up,and you will do ok,,Just remember,,some times the cash register doesnt ring every day,But those big checks are great when they come In,,Sorry,But i havent been following this thread,Lots of great advice!!!!!!,Jack
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by storts; 12-27-2007 at 06:20 AM. Reason: same-spelling

now thats the kind of information im talking about thanks alot if anyone has good suggestion on a multiprocess welding machine for home use for light repair and light fab work that would be great all i have is standered househols power.

well i got a new shop vac and a sawzall for christmass and its the red one

Default Mig

I sell multi purpose machines,,I try my hardest to talk people out of them,Proble being,is if you loose one part,your out a complet machine,,stick with a tig-stick,and a Plasma,and the small migs that linc or miller have,Yep,you will be spending more,But what do you tell a cust,when you cant do the Job ????????Ive seen it once only,that the plasma cut out,But so did the rest of the machine,NoIt wasnt one I sold,Remember,you have to look,act and be a professional,Thats why they are paying for your knowledge,Plus your overhead, Because if the had a small welder,they would try it themselvesand then you have to cut all there grapes off!,,Hope this helps!,Jack

the multiprocess would just be used around the house and thats all for my personal use. not to make money with. so any suggestions

Default Might sound stupid

Sorry,,i stick by what i sell,,and i personally dont think it fair,,and beenn in the welding buisness,,I have to sleep at night,,loose your word,Lose alot,,Mayby old fashioned,,But my felings,,If you are eventually do this full time,,where will tah machine be,,if it was me,well,i just need it for one job!!!!!!!!Not giving ya a hard time,Just the truth,I know what i would do!!!!!!,Jack

well i can understand and apreciate what your saying from a business standpoint i just want some advice