Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast

Thread: welding shop

any ideas at all guys

Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    well i graduated from doing t-joints to welding V-groove butt joints, both sides beveled at 45 degrees, Butted together. My instructor said i was doing **** good on the t-joints and it was time to do v-groove. Anyhow im having a problem with getting good penetration during the beginning of the root bead and at the end of the root bead it blows out. But the middle looks great. Any tips or suggestions on how to avoid these problems.
    Are you giving your puddle time to penetrate without building up too much ? At the end, slow up and stop short of the end and just watch your puddle, its kind of hard to explain.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Default ok

ok ill give it a try im doing the weld without using a backing strip so it is tricky any ides on how to to get a good root without a backing strip.

Default so anyideas guys

I'm having trouble getting a good root bead with out using a backing strip I'm using the small 7018 for the root and the 1/4inch for the rest of the beads in the v-groove.

i just cant seem to get the root in there right but the face of the weld looks pretty

Well i have got the root bead down pat now and my filler beads look pretty goot, but i am having trouble with the cover bead. Im finding it hard to get the weave bead tight enough, and im having trouble building it up as well. any ideas or hints for doing a weave bead.

Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    Well i have got the root bead down pat now and my filler beads look pretty goot, but i am having trouble with the cover bead. Im finding it hard to get the weave bead tight enough, and im having trouble building it up as well. any ideas or hints for doing a weave bead.
    Make sure your amperage is set high enough for the 1/4". Sounds like you may be going a little too fast, did you try slowing down some? Remember you are using a much larger rod compared to what you used for the root bead, especially if you went from a 3/32" to a 1/4"
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

ill try slowing down some that may be my problem. thanks for the suggestion and encourage others to comment on this topic as well.

Hay bud,
    Im 17 bout a year away from grad welding school ive already got a purdy huge shop thanks to my grandpa who cant take care of it anymore... love that old man.... but im lookin at a multiprocess machine to the XMT 350 MPa (MIG-P) but i cant really find a difference in the 350 CC/CV and the VS can anyne explain that to me? hay bro by the way u got to have a cutting torch and a grinder.
    Good luck, God bless, and Good Hunting
    Oh by the way i mite graduate welding school before i graduate high school cool! How cool is that?
    thanks man and good luck Angus

Thumbs up

Tyler, I think its wonderful that you want to be self employed. I'm a little concerned that you don't know what kind of welder you need. If you are not going to be doing the work your 'lead-man' should have the knowledge as to the equiptment. If you don't know what welders to set-up then your welding shop rep. will be able to help. 1" plate is no joke, I do hope you succeed. Best of luck. DZSNUTS