Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: welding shop

both great suggestions thanks and i downloaded the photo sizer so ill see how well that works in a minute.

well finally that worked lol here is my first time gmaw welding what do you all think
    Attached Images Attached Images

these pictures are of my first time ever doing GMAW

Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    these pictures are of my first time ever doing GMAW
    Not bad for the first time. I had a little trouble viewing the pics, they looked very glossy, maybe its my computer but try turning the flash off next time if you are in a well lit area. From what I could see, I would clean your metal a little better if using a 7018 rod. Looks like your amperage may have been just a tad low, try another 5 amps, if thats not enough to give you a nice puddle, try 5 more at a time. Also, slow down a little, thats why your stringers are wide, then narrow. You should be getting an average distance of 8" out of the rod.

Keep the pics coming
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    Not bad for the first time. I had a little trouble viewing the pics, they looked very glossy, maybe its my computer but try turning the flash off next time if you are in a well lit area. From what I could see, I would clean your metal a little better if using a 7018 rod. Looks like your amperage may have been just a tad low, try another 5 amps, if thats not enough to give you a nice puddle, try 5 more at a time. Also, slow down a little, thats why your stringers are wide, then narrow. You should be getting an average distance of 8" out of the rod.

Keep the pics coming

sorry that was not 7018 or stick welding at all that was Mig welding (GMAW) not SMAW ( stick) that being said what do you all think.

sorry that was not 7018 or stick welding at all that was Mig welding (GMAW) not SMAW ( stick) that being said what do you all think.
    SORRY, my mistake, I was waiting for your stick pictures
    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

now that you know those were mig what do you think bout it?

now that you know those were mig what do you think bout it?
    I did very little mig since I started. I am mainly stick. I was hoping to have a mig welder at work by now but it may be a month or two yet.

From what I saw, it looks good, you may still want to slow up a little and increase your voltage a little. Your wire speed looked about right. Also, clean the rust off all the metal. Are you seeing a nice looking puddle as you move back ?
    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Not to sure what you mean but the puddle looks alright to me, and is clearly visiable i mean it glows read for minutes after the weld is done. i thought i might have been moving a little to fast, its just when you get used to stick welding (which i have done more of) a stringer bead with 7018 is a lot narrower than the stringers i mig welded, it has a completly different look ill take some pics tommorow of my stick welding and post them for everyone to take a look at.

sorry no stick pics yet every time i have class i forget the camera but here is a pic of a wrench i made fo my water meter, its just tubing made into a t handle with a notch in the end. i notched the end using a o/a torch.
    Attached Images Attached Images